AC not working - please help trouble shoot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
AC is not blowing cold. I don't think the compressor is coming on. I believe the magnetic clutch is not engaging because when the AC is on and supposed to be cooling, the clutch (outer most part of pulley) is not spinning. I also think it is the mag cutch because, I took it off to gain access to a bolt I needed to get to as part of another project. Its too coincidental that my AC stopped working right after I took the pulley off of it.

When I removed the AC compressor pulley, I paid attention to the spacer washer that I knew was in there (there were two in my case) and I know I put them back with the same washers in place. I have done the FSM trouble shooting of testing the clutch by jumpering power to it and it clicks and I can't move the clutch with my hand so it seems to be engaging and I also checked the resistance between the terminals as it says. SO it seems to be working.

1619965519011.png

Pic of my jumper wires that I ran to multimeter. Its too hard to get the meter leads on the correct plug pins as you can't see what you are doing from the side and while you can see from the top, you cant reach. (Sorry its sideways)

266CDF64-56B7-486F-887D-E18A378E436B.jpeg

I'm going to check if its getting power next. I'll check the fuse (probably should have been 1st thing to check) but that would be a crazy coincidence timing wise. Getting to the plug on the compressor is a pain. I wish I would have thought to check that when I had it pulled apart doing the clutch check. I do not have AC gauges. If the fuse is good, I'm going to take it to the dealer as I don't know what else to check myself. Other ideas?

50A fuse looks good. I can't tell what other fuses may be involved from the fuse box lid descriptions. I think I'm heading toward the dealer...

Be sure to tell the dealer exactly what you did to remove and replace the pulley. That R&R is likely to be the cause of the failure. The first thing the dealer will want to do is replace the entire compressor and clutch assembly, so hopefully you can convince them to troubleshoot a bit and re-install things correctly.

Be sure to tell the dealer exactly what you did to remove and replace the pulley. That R&R is likely to be the cause of the failure. The first thing the dealer will want to do is replace the entire compressor and clutch assembly, so hopefully you can convince them to troubleshoot a bit and re-install things correctly.
Yep. Thanks

So it isn't the mag clutch. At least I didn't screw that part up. What I apparently did though was poke a hole in the condenser as I was doing all of the other work with the radiator out. Zero pressure. Added a can and could hear it leaking. #$#@! At least its not the compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom