AC no worky and burnt electrical smell. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I read the posts but could not find exactly what I was looking for. My truck is a 1991 80 series with the 3FE. AC has seemed like it was getting warmer over the last few weeks but then again it has been in excess of 100 alot here in SC. On the way back from the mountains yesterday I stopped to fill up and noticed a smell from under the hood like something electrical burning. I then noticed my AC compressor did not seem to be working. I looked it over and all wires seemed to be good to go but did see what looked like melted plasitic around the pulley edges. Based on some of the pics I have seen I am guessing the clutch has kicked the bucket and possibly was "slipping" causing it not to cool as well over the last few weeks. Anyone had these same simptioms and did a clutch cure it. Still running R12 and was hoping to get out as cheap as I can.

Thanks in advance!!!

What you're seeing on the clutch is probably melted resin from the clutch coil. The three most common reasons that the clutch would overheat are: 1) <12.5 volts at the clutch 2) low refrigerant charge, causing the compressor to cycle on and off rapidly 3) refrigerant overcharge, tripping the high pressure switch, causing the compressor to cycle on and off.
From what you're describing, that it got warmer over time, my best guess is that there's a leak that led to the low charge scenario. As far as a repair, it's hard to say for certain if the clutch could be replaced successfully, sometimes that kind of an overheat will wear the compressor nosecone. The nosecone can be replaced, you might as well reseal the compressor while you're at it. Here are a few video's on how to do it.

Could have gotten low for sure and explain the decrease in cooling. I checked the fuse at lunch and it was blown. Replaced it and the compressor came on and I saw some sparks out of the front of it which would explain the smell burning the clutch up. So I am guessing the first place since the compressor comes on is to replace the clutch? Are there aftermarket clutches for it and if so does anyone have a part number? Saw a bunch of numbers out there but just want to be sure. None of my local parts stores except the dealer show a listing for the clutch.

I sell a new aftermarket clutch for $165. FWIW, a new Denso compressor with clutch is $260.61

1972FJ55, What else do I need if I just replace the whole compressor and does the clutch already come installed on it?

Thanks

The compressor comes with the clutch on it. You'll need oil for R12 ($5.60) and I'd put a new drier ($22.42 for a Denso or $13.65 for aftermarket) on it, put new schraders ($.80 each) in the service ports and replace the o-rings ($5.53) throughout the system.

Are you saying that a new Toyota compressor and clutch only costs $260, or was that for a rebuilt Denso or an aftermarket? I thought those two (new) Toyota parts were like $700-800?

Are you saying that a new Toyota compressor and clutch only costs $260, or was that for a rebuilt Denso or an aftermarket? I thought those two (new) Toyota parts were like $700-800?

That's for a new Denso brand compressor with clutch.

Yes you can convert to R134 at the same time. You also may want to add some ac oil to the lines when you recharge it as well to keep your new ac/comp running like new for years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom