AC mag cluch keeps clicking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
pilgrimanimation.com
I took a video so you can see what's happening. The magnetic clutch keeps clicking, but I don't think it's engaging, because the compressor never turns on and air is blowing hot. Do I need to replace the mag clutch or the whole compressor? Or something else?

Hook up some gauges and report back what you see on low and high pressure sides.

I don't have proper gauges. I have a air con recharge kit. The guage on the low side measures over 100psi. Both when the air con is attempting to engage and when it is turned off.

I don't have a guage for the high side.

Last edited:
I don't have proper gauges. I have a air con recharge kit. The guage on the low side measures over 100psi. Both when the air con is attempting to engage and when it is turned off.

I don't have a guage for the high side.

Having gauges at this point wouldn't do you any good anyway, except to read the 'static' pressure. The clutch is not engaging and turning the compressor. It's trying to....but can't for some reason.

IF the gauge you do have is accurate, then you have enough system pressure to satisfy the Binary Switch (Hi/Low pressure switch). So...refrigerant charge (even if not correct) is not the issue.

The reasons for a clutch not engaging can be several:

• Air gap too large
  • Magnetic Coil weak or low voltage to coil
  • Relay is faulty or intermittent
  • Binary switch faulty or intermittent
  • Compressor cut out sensor (on back of compressor) faulty

And a few other less likely issues.

Having gauges at this point wouldn't do you any good anyway, except to read the 'static' pressure. The clutch is not engaging and turning the compressor. It's trying to....but can't for some reason.

IF the gauge you do have is accurate, then you have enough system pressure to satisfy the Binary Switch (Hi/Low pressure switch). So...refrigerant charge (even if not correct) is not the issue.

The reasons for a clutch not engaging can be several:

• Air gap too large
  • Magnetic Coil weak or low voltage to coil
  • Relay is faulty or intermittent
  • Binary switch faulty or intermittent
  • Compressor cut out sensor (on back of compressor) faulty

And a few other less likely issues.

Thanks. This will give me a direction to proceed...

To answer your question directly, no, you do not have to replace the entire compressor to repair, or even diagnose, a faulty clutch. You would be best served by removing the compresssor unit to a bench and then testing/removing the clutch. The details are in the FSM.

To answer your question directly, no, you do not have to replace the entire compressor to repair, or even diagnose, a faulty clutch. You would be best served by removing the compresssor unit to a bench and then testing/removing the clutch. The details are in the FSM.

Ok, thank you. That's Helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom