AC issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so I'm on a road trip from the Los Angeles area to Montana. I'm on the return trip and we are hitting national parks. Just saw the Grand Canyon which was awesome. Before I left home I had my ac compressor converted to r134 and made the necessary changes to the system. The first two days of the trip the ac blew nice and cold ~31 degrees. However on the 3rd day of the trip it stopped blowing. So cold. Not sure what the issue is. I bought anothrt can of 134 thinking the system had a leak but it's reading that it's fully charged. Any suggestions on where to start checking for problems?

A likely failure after fixing an AC system is a faulty heater Circuit Breaker (CB). If the breaker has tripped the fan will not run with or without the AC. The blue AC light will not be on. The heater CB are rated for 30amps but I think with age they fail much before 30 more like 14 or 15 amps. So with the fan on high and the A/C on it may trip the breaker. You can pull the breaker (top right corner of the fuse box) and (edit) find the small hole on the face of it. Using a pin, or finishing nail push it in the hole until it clicks resetting the breaker. don't run the fan on high until you get home or you will just trip it again. Once you get back home consider replacing the heater CB with an in-line 30 amp fuse.

Last edited:
A likely failure after fixing an AC system is a faulty heater Circuit Breaker (CB). If the breaker has tripped the fan will not run with or without the AC. The blue AC light will not be on. The heater CB are rated for 30amps but I think with age they fail much before 30 more like 14 or 15 amps. So with the fan on high and the A/C on it may trip the breaker. You can pull the breaker (top right corner of the fuse box) and turning it around find a small hole on the back side. Using a pin, or finishing nail push it in the hole until it clicks resetting the breaker. don't run the fan on high until you get home or you will just trip it again. Once you get back home consider replacing the heater CB with an in-line 30 amp fuse.

I don't hear the compressor kick on. The fan blows and the ac button light up. I'll try the breaker right now! Thank you. I'll let you know what happens!

So I pulled the breaker. I took photos and attached them. I tried pushing the button on the face of the breaker but it didn't click. Not sure if that means it wasn't tripped. If the compressor is kicking on there should kind of be a little hiss sound right? If so it isn't happening.

20201001_134034.jpg

20201001_134018.jpg

Do you think the evaporator might be frosting up? I have the A/C manual (RAC-015 from 1981). Can lend it to you if you like. This does not cover compressor rebuilding but the rest of the system is discussed.

Firstly, thank you! However I ended up figuring out the issue. Turned out the Gauge I was using to check the freon was bad. There is a leak somewhere in my system so I'll have to look further into finding where. For now I just put in a can and half of freon. I know I'm just putting a bandaid on the problem for the next few days but it'll get me home with some ac. So there's a olus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom