AC Issues LX470 - blinking AC "button" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having issues with my AC turning off (blinking AC light in climate controls), especially on hot days. I keep the temp at 72, and the higher the level (and adding in rear air for the kids) the more frequently it switches off, and I then have to turn it back on and they cycle repeats. I recently had to replace the compressor, and the shop doing the work doesn't think it is the compressor, but possibly the control unit (said they are having a hard time diagnosing it). They said they could redo the compressor, but I hate for them to have to redo that, if that isn't the likely culprit as they are a smaller shop in central KY and have looked out for me a lot in the past. That being said, if that is truly the likely issue, then I will have them switch it out. Additionally, I know the Tesla style head units are a hot topic, but if I did have to replace the control unit (assuming head unit???) would this be the time to add it or another display, or do these style head units just reuse the existing AC control unit?

if they didn't use a Denso Compressor then your compressor is bad. The ECU and the Climate ECU need to see matching engine RPM's. That tells the vehicle whether the compressor is locking up, and disconnects the clutch to save the belt and keep you on the road. Sensors on other brand compressors are crap and give wrong readings.

replace the ac clutch relay first.

@MLilley Check the ground from LH inner fender apron area connects to the engine "hook" and not elsewhere.

I am having the same problem with my 2002 LC

AC light starts blinking on the display and the compressor shuts off. :deadhorse:

For a while I could turn it off and then right back on and the compressor would come back on and all would be fine. Now the compressor will not stay on at all. I hear the compressor kick on when I first push the AC button but the compressor just immediately kicks right back off again now when I do this.

Shop says refrigerant is full.

Any wisdom?

Thank you!

Can you check for error codes and see what they are? I think it's holding the recirculation button and auto buttons while turning the car on. Have to search on here for exact buttons.

Thank you for your quick response. Thank you for the suggestion of "holding recirculation and Auto buttons" and starting car. New concept for me.

Shop says their Scanner says "no communication" with Ac system.

I will get it back from the shop hopefully today and put my snap-on scanner on it, and follow up. on your thread.

Thank you for your quick response. Thank you for the suggestion of "holding recirculation and Auto buttons" and starting car. New concept for me.

Shop says their Scanner says "no communication" with Ac system.

I will get it back from the shop hopefully today and put my snap-on scanner on it, and follow up. on your thread.
I can't remember if its starting the car with the buttons held or just turning the key to ON. Try both...the text display on your radio should show (maybe multiple) 2-digit error codes. You can look it up online what they mean.

Also, if you get a $30-40 mini vci cable (obd2 to pc), you can use techstream to see detailed errors/codes/live data from almost every single component in the car. Here's a link to the tutorial...super easy to set up.

Found it in the 2003 model year FSM. Page DI-1074

Turn key on with AUTO and Recirculation buttons held down. Then you can toggle using the DEFROST button.
The list of codes and their meanings are shown on page DI-1079.

I will get LC back from shop today and I will start to look. Thank you.

HERE IS MY SOLUTION DOCUNENTED

My AC button started blinking on my 2002 LX 470, and when it started blinking, my compressor would shut off immediately! 🥵♨️🌶️

Upon start up the compressor would come on momentarily and then go off in about 5 seconds, the same moment the AC light would start blinking (my LX has Navigation Screen), thus the AC button is virtual.

HERES WHAT I KNOW ABOUT MY LX:

1. I checked the refrigerant charge and it was full, so no leaks.👍

2. My Shop scanned the vehicle and the AC said "NO COMMUNICATION."👍

3. I searched this forum with the keywords (AC blinking).
- Found the following advice, summarized below:👍

A. Unplug compressor connector (at top front of compressor) its a 3 prong plug. Clean and reconnect.:D

B. Check ground on fender well.
C. Check for corroded battery cables and clean.
D. Low voltage on battery.:D
E. Low functioning alternator.

I cleaned (with OBD spray cleaner) and reconnected the wiring harness (step A above). AT THE SAME TIME I put the battery on the charger.

While the battery was still on the charger (small boost charge, not trickle charge) AND with compressor harness reconnected, I started the LX470 and the compressor light no longer blinked but stayed on and AC is working fine after only performing steps A and D above. Haven't driven it yet without the boost on the battery, so it still could be the battery OR alternator is not producing enough voltage, and the Battery is dated January 2018 so it could have been the problem. OR MAYBE JUST CLEANING THE COMPRESSOR WIRING CONNECTOR WAS THE ONLY PROBLEM. Because I performed both repairs at once I currently don't know which of these solved my problem yet. 😹🤠

If the problem returns once battery charger is not present, I will have the alternator and battery tested, but with the battery being over 4 years old I wouldn't be opposed to getting a new one before winter comes anyway.

I will try and follow up on this post / add to this post once I know which procedure solved the problem.

Thank you for everyone's input on this problem over the many threads that I read here on Ih8mud!

RECRUISER

I had the alternator and battery tested today at my local Advance Auto Parts and they both tested good, so it was the wiring harness at the front top of the compressor that fixed the problem.

Hope this helps someone down the road, no pun intended :D

I had the alternator and battery tested today at my local Advance Auto Parts and they both tested good, so it was the wiring harness at the front top of the compressor that fixed the problem.

Hope this helps someone down the road, no pun intended :D
Will be giving this a shot tomorrow AM. Thanks for looking into this! Crossing my fingers it is this simple fix. Will update once tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom