AC Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need advice if further action needed. '04 100 series w/ 230K miles. AC stopped blowing cold. Dealer said hole in condenser and quoted a big $ to replace. I tried a bottle of Red Angel stop leak. Bought the 2oz bottle and an oil injector. Got it in with a can of 134A and ac blowing 40 degrees. That was 3 weeks ago and so far, it's holding the charge so I'm feeling optimistic that this product worked.

But here's the thing. In Houston in the afternoon now that it's HOT, when I turn to max cold and the fan on high, it doesn't blow very cold. It will blow 70 degree air. When I turn the fan to low, temp will begin to fall and get back to near 40. And when I turn the fan back up, temp rises. Anyone know what's up with that?

Second question, which may have something to do with the first. Any further action needed? i.e. now that system apparently has its hole(s) plugged, should I do a professional evacuate and recharge?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Need advice if further action needed. '04 100 series w/ 230K miles. AC stopped blowing cold. Dealer said hole in condenser and quoted a big $ to replace. I tried a bottle of Red Angel stop leak. Bought the 2oz bottle and an oil injector. Got it in with a can of 134A and ac blowing 40 degrees. That was 3 weeks ago and so far, it's holding the charge so I'm feeling optimistic that this product worked.

But here's the thing. In Houston in the afternoon now that it's HOT, when I turn to max cold and the fan on high, it doesn't blow very cold. It will blow 70 degree air. When I turn the fan to low, temp will begin to fall and get back to near 40. And when I turn the fan back up, temp rises. Anyone know what's up with that?

Second question, which may have something to do with the first. Any further action needed? i.e. now that system apparently has its hole(s) plugged, should I do a professional evacuate and recharge?

Thanks in advance for advice.
I don't have much experience in using the stop leak product but that's cool it seems to be working.

When do you experience the warmer air blowing? Remember making cold air means removing hot air. So sitting in traffic on a hot summer texas afternoon that AC is working hard to blow that hot air away. If your system isn't in tip top shape I could see how maybe it would struggle in those conditions.

If it happens when your moving along and not sitting, then I would guess the system isn't fully charged. just guessing

If you have OBDII scanner you can monitor when the AC compressor engages.

Diagnosing it right can save you $$$.

You can start with this

I will say this, nothing beats a proper repair. If the dealer already diagnose it and got an estimate I would shop around in your area. The stop leak is temporary and your system is still possibly low on refrigerant also stop leak could cause blockage in the long run most shop will not evacuate your system if there is stop leak in your system it could contaminate their machine and plug up their filters. I would flush the entire system and drain the compressor of any oil, let us know on what you decide to do.

I haven't found the UV dye to be of much help. I've been dealing with a slow leak (10 months after recharge AC won't work anymore) and I can't find dye anywhere. I put a sniffer on the evap core and I think it's leaking there based on the noise it makes but can't see anything with the UV light.

I haven't found the UV dye to be of much help. I've been dealing with a slow leak (10 months after recharge AC won't work anymore) and I can't find dye anywhere. I put a sniffer on the evap core and I think it's leaking there based on the noise it makes but can't see anything with the UV light.
If its leaking from the front evaporator you should find the dye in the drain tube, or if you remove the cover and shine the black light in there.

If its leaking from the front evaporator you should find the dye in the drain tube, or if you remove the cover and shine the black light in there.
This is why I think it's coming from the evaporator. I took the cover off and where you hear it beeping, I can't see any dye at all. I can check the drain tube as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom