AC idle up issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The fact that your idle up only stays on for a minute is really strange. It's supposed to remain on whenever the comp is running. Someting is causing the amp to cut the power to the vsv
Yeah I don’t get it. The ac fuse is good. So do I need to find what powers the VSV on the amp board and see if there is 12 volts to that pin?

I think you need to remove the splice and get the wiring back to stock. At least at that point you can trouble shoot per the FSM. Besides removing the splice, I would also confirm that none of the pins have been moved around in that connector. I can't really tell from your picture the connector pin for each of the wires.

I think you need to remove the splice and get the wiring back to stock. At least at that point you can trouble shoot per the FSM. Besides removing the splice, I would also confirm that none of the pins have been moved around in that connector. I can't really tell from your picture the connector pin for each of the wires.
Ok so remove the splice then should I wrap in elec. tape so they don’t contact.

Ok undo the splice, and wrapped the exposed wire in electrical tape. seems as if the idle dropping off is fixed. No clue why someone would splice those wires! Some clarification.

the VSV on comes on when the Compressor clutch is engaged or is it just when the "AC" button is pushed?
Should idle come up even if the button is pushed and the clutch is not engaged on the compressor?

Why would the clutch Not be engaged?
to low RPM
Already at Temp

The way I see it. The vsv comes on a fraction before the comp clutch so it doesn't potentially stall the engine.
The vsv and the compressor engagement will always be on together, but neither should activate in really cold weather[cold cabin temp] when a/c button is pushed if the a/c thermostat is working properly. [Not sure about this with the 60, so it may come on in freezing weather?}
My 70 series has a a/c temp dial and no actual a/c on / off switch, so a bit different to your 60.
Who knows what the PO has done to your wiring. It may have been some attempt to keep the compressor engaged at low revs for example. Just a guess.
Also are you certain your compressor is cycling on and off?

Last edited:
The way I see it. The vsv comes on a fraction before the comp clutch so it doesn't potentially stall the engine.
The vsv and the compressor engagement will always be on together, but neither should activate in really cold weather when a/c button is pushed if the a/c thermostat is working properly. [Not sure about this with the 60, so it may come on in freezing weather?}
My 70 series has a a/c temp dial and no actual a/c on / off switch, so a bit different to your 60.
Who knows what the PO has done to your wiring. It may have been some attempt to keep the compressor engaged at low revs for example. Just a guess.
Also are you certain your compressor is cycling on and off?
So I adjusted the Blue Knob al the way CCW and the compressor is cycling on and off and the VSV is fluctuating the Idle when the compress is engaged. temp coming out seems pretty low. I will put a thermometer in the vent so I can get a actual reading. Seems to be working as it should

So I adjusted the Blue Knob al the way CCW and the compressor is cycling on and off and the VSV is fluctuating the Idle when the compress is engaged. temp coming out seems pretty low. I will put a thermometer in the vent so I can get a actual reading. Seems to be working as it should
That's great news! Looks like you have fixed it.:clap:

the compressor cycles on and off and as said above the VSV engages and dis-engages in concert--it actually engages before the clutch. The clutch cycling is about AC demand. The thermosister measures the temperature at the evaporator coil and turns the compressor off when it gets too cold to prevent the evaporator from icing up (freezing the moisture that condenses as the air cools. This is explained in AC AMP THREAD which is linked in post #29 and in the website I linked in post #41. I think if all the components seems to be working now, it is worth your while to make sure the red and blue potentiometers are set correctly.

the compressor cycles on and off and as said above the VSV engages and dis-engages in concert--it actually engages before the clutch. The clutch cycling is about AC demand. The thermosister measures the temperature at the evaporator coil and turns the compressor off when it gets too cold to prevent the evaporator from icing up (freezing the moisture that condenses as the air cools. This is explained in AC AMP THREAD which is linked in post #29 and in the website I linked in post #41. I think if all the components seems to be working now, it is worth your while to make sure the red and blue potentiometers are set correctly.
Yeah I will do that list of the procedure now that I feel every thing is working as it should.
Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom