AC ideler pulley replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a nice squeal and grind coming from the lower, front engine bay and I'm about 90% sure it's the AC idler pulley. I'll confirm tonight by removing the belt, but I'm wondering how many :banana: of a job is it to replace the pulley? Is it just the tensioner screw and one bolt on the front? Easy as loosening the tensioner bolt and removing the bolt that goes through the center of the pulley? Or are there a few more steps?

Thanks,

Ed

Its a :banana: job. I think it took me 30mins or so going at a pretty relaxed pace.

I have a nice squeal and grind coming from the lower, front engine bay and I'm about 90% sure it's the AC idler pulley. I'll confirm tonight by removing the belt, but I'm wondering how many :banana: of a job is it to replace the pulley? Is it just the tensioner screw and one bolt on the front? Easy as loosening the tensioner bolt and removing the bolt that goes through the center of the pulley? Or are there a few more steps?

Thanks,

Ed

The other option is to just replace the bearing.

Already bought the pulley. About $25 from the dealer. It's squealing like a pig -- I need to get it done tonight.

Did you install an idler since the CSC club wrench day? I seem to remember that you were missing it.

Edit: Never mind, I was thinking of the idler for the other accessory belts.

Last edited:
It's often just the belt itself. Spray the belt with a little wd-40 and see if it temporarily stops.

Plenty of folks here have replaced the idler only to realize the belt was the problem.

Curtis

Did you install an idler since the CSC club wrench day? I seem to remember that you were missing it.

Edit: Never mind, I was thinking of the idler for the other accessory belts.

The weekend after the wrench-a-thon my head gasket blew. Vern put in a new guide/alternator pulley in the process and went with a new set of OEM belts. This inspite of the fact that the ones on it were only a week old from the wrench-a-thon. :mad: :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it looks pretty simple but I just wasn't able to see if there was anything else holding the pulley in place -- seems there's not.

Ed

Anyhow, it looks pretty simple but I just wasn't able to see if there was anything else holding the pulley in place -- seems there's not.

Ed

No, it's a breeze. Mark your adjusting bolt, loosen the center nut on the pulley, loosen the belt by running the adjusting bolt down, then remove the belt, center nut and pulley assembly. Keep an eye on the order and direction of the removed pulley parts (in think there's a spacer in there and you could get it on backwards). Button it back up, tighten adjusting bolt to mark, and tighten center nut.

Piece of cake.

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom