AC help, sporadic blinking and clutch engagement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn't want to start another AB blinking thread. But I'm at a stopping point.

I reinstalled my engine after a reseal with a new compressor. All was working fine for for the last 5 years with the old compressor.
I changed the evap front and and condenser in late 2019.

After install I vacuumed and let it sit for many hours. It seemed like it was perfect.

I charged a liquid 12 ounces in the high side.

I started the engine and hit the AC button, no engagement with blinking light.

Checked a few things and then gave up for the night after checking fro HVAC codes and only showed the 21, solar sensor.

Next morning my pressures were equalized at about 60 psi with an ambient of about the same. This was with one 12 ounce can charged from day before.

I hooked up another can and got ready to try again and the clutch engaged and the AC started blowing normally again. One thing I didn't see was cycling on off pressures. But it was colder than normal for me when doing AC. ALso, I could not hear the clutch engage it is much more quiet than the older compressor. The only give away was the idle bump.
I was showing the low side in a range of 25-35 psi and the high side a tiny bit lower than 200 psi.

I charged 38 ounces in total, by weight in one single session with the engine running. Everything was normal.

Ten hours later I went for a drive. AC would only blink after 3 seconds.

Next morning, even warmer ambient, pressures equalized around 75 psi. High side was slightly higher by 5-10 psi. Ambient was about the same, around 75

Clutch would not engage.

I used techstream to check the AC sig. That works normal. That's the button press on the dash and the network knows it and shows in techstream that it was in fact pushed.

All my hvac circuit boards are a little bit over 4 years old.
The lock on the compressor ohms out fine.

I can't get battery voltage on the mag clutch wire unless I give it 12 volts at the compressor plug, or at the connection by the main ECU behind the glove box.
I know it works sometimes.
I know the AC fuse is good because all the other components of the hvac work normal. I have no codes but the solar sensor and the other hvac secondary test is normal.

I do not believe I have a continuity issue. That AC harness, which is part of the starter harness and secondary intake loom looked good and I cleaner it all out.
I know it's good.

Next day, yesterday, I couldn't get the clutch to engage at all. Techstream won't either, where it did on the first day of testing.

Following the fsm, at this point, would have you take down the center assembly and look at the big 40 pin ac amp plug, the ecu main, the main fuse box up and undone, and the 3 pin compressor connector (harness side)

I do not want to do that unless I have a new fuse box in hand. Which I ordered. BTW, partsouq doesn't carry them anymore. South Atlanta is cheapest @ $570.
I wont do that until I replace the pressure switch and re vacuum, that's on the way, as is another drier.

Today is the 4th day. Haven't had the compressor engage since the second day. When it did, it was after a dead cold start.

My thoughts are this,

push the AC button, it either engages and turns or it doesn't. If it doesn't, the lock signal automatically gets sent because of the mismatch. Then the blinking after 3 seconds.

If it engages, all is good, cold air happens until it gets hot and then something happens, either lost relay power, or a true mismatch in RPMs. (I doubt)

The AC sig line is normal.

Techstream can't send a lock signal if the clutch is not engaged. Which I can't-- right now I'm thinking I can give the clutch 12 volts and then have techstream send the lock signal without the car running. Would that work. the lock signal gives it the ground correct? I do not know if pushing the AC button with the ignition on but not started engages the clutch. It's so quiet.

I do not believe my pressure switch is bad, but I'm replacing it anyway.

of the few people I know of that have replaced the fuse box in the 100s that have that relay soldered into the main board, it has solved their issue. I want to believe that's it. But really I think it's something else.

too much oil in the system. I emptied the old compressor and hardly any oil came out. I swapped the service plate, everything's good there.
When I initially removed the two pipes from the compressor to remove the engine a fair bit of oil came out of the two lines and almost none out of the old compressor. I removed about half the oil that came with the new compressor. It's the denso, not the toyota parts counter item.

When I had added r134 in the past 2-4 years I have always done it at night, when it's about 90 degrees out. I could see the cycling of pressure with engage/ disengagement.
It did not cycle one time while I added the last two cans. The clutch stayed engaged the whole time, maybe 30 minutes or more. My high side would not climb like it has in the past to 200 psi. But this was the coldest I've ever done AC charging. It was 65-68 ambient.

this turned into a book, I know.

I'm going to go through the motions of the FSM when a new fuse box shows up. I figured why stop there? and bought a vacuum pump along with it. I'll update with that, if it solves it. And how and where to test the clutch relay wires at or close to the fuse box.

There's only a couple years of the 100s that have this MGC relay set up, it's horrible. Even the two hundreds have a replaceable relay.

sorry this got so long. This is why I didn't want to write it. Too many variables.

I didn't want to start another AB blinking thread. But I'm at a stopping point.

I reinstalled my engine after a reseal with a new compressor. All was working fine for for the last 5 years with the old compressor.
I changed the evap front and and condenser in late 2019.

After install I vacuumed and let it sit for many hours. It seemed like it was perfect.

I charged a liquid 12 ounces in the high side.

I started the engine and hit the AC button, no engagement with blinking light.

Checked a few things and then gave up for the night after checking fro HVAC codes and only showed the 21, solar sensor.

Next morning my pressures were equalized at about 60 psi with an ambient of about the same. This was with one 12 ounce can charged from day before.

I hooked up another can and got ready to try again and the clutch engaged and the AC started blowing normally again. One thing I didn't see was cycling on off pressures. But it was colder than normal for me when doing AC. ALso, I could not hear the clutch engage it is much more quiet than the older compressor. The only give away was the idle bump.
I was showing the low side in a range of 25-35 psi and the high side a tiny bit lower than 200 psi.

I charged 38 ounces in total, by weight in one single session with the engine running. Everything was normal.

Ten hours later I went for a drive. AC would only blink after 3 seconds.

Next morning, even warmer ambient, pressures equalized around 75 psi. High side was slightly higher by 5-10 psi. Ambient was about the same, around 75

Clutch would not engage.

I used techstream to check the AC sig. That works normal. That's the button press on the dash and the network knows it and shows in techstream that it was in fact pushed.

All my hvac circuit boards are a little bit over 4 years old.
The lock on the compressor ohms out fine.

I can't get battery voltage on the mag clutch wire unless I give it 12 volts at the compressor plug, or at the connection by the main ECU behind the glove box.
I know the AC fuse is good because all the other components of the hvac work normal. I have no codes but the solar sensor and the other hvac secondary test is normal.

I do not believe I have a continuity issue. That AC harness, which is part of the starter harness and secondary intake loom looked good and I cleaner it all out.
I know it's good.

Next day, yesterday, I couldn't get the clutch to engage at all. Techstream won't either, where it did on the first day of testing.

Following the fsm, at this point, would have you take down the center assembly and look at the big 40 pin ac amp plug, the ecu main, the main fuse box up and undone, and the 3 pin compressor connector (harness side)

I do not want to do that unless I have a new fuse box in hand. Which I ordered. BTW, partsouq doesn't carry them anymore. South Atlanta is cheapest @ $570.
I wont do that until I replace the pressure switch and re vacuum, that's on the way, as is another drier.

Today is the 4th day. Haven't had the compressor engage since the second day. When it did, it was after a dead cold start.

My thoughts are this,

push the AC button, it either engages and turns or it doesn't. If it doesn't, the lock signal automatically gets sent because of the mismatch. Then the blinking after 3 seconds.

If it engages, all is good, cold air happens until it gets hot and then something happens, either lost relay power, or a true mismatch in RPMs. (I doubt)

The AC sig line is normal.

Techstream can't send a lock signal if the clutch is not engaged. Which I can't-- right now I'm thinking I can give the clutch 12 volts and then have techstream send the lock signal without the car running. Would that work. the lock signal gives it the ground correct? I do not know if pushing the AC button with the ignition on but not started engages the clutch. It's so quiet.

I do not believe my pressure switch is bad, but I'm replacing it anyway.

of the few people I know of that have replaced the fuse box in the 100s that have that relay soldered into the main board, it has solved their issue. I want to believe that's it. But really I think it's something else.

too much oil in the system. I emptied the old compressor and hardly any oil came out. I swapped the service plate, everything's good there.
When I initially removed the two pipes from the compressor to remove the engine a fair bit of oil came out of the two lines and almost none out of the old compressor. I removed about half the oil that came with the new compressor. It's the denso, not the toyota parts counter item.

When I had added r134 in the past 2-4 years I have always done it at night, when it's about 90 degrees out. I could see the cycling of pressure with engage/ disengagement.
It did not cycle one time while I added the last two cans. The clutch stayed engaged the whole time, maybe 30 minutes or more. My high side would not climb like it has in the past to 200 psi. But this was the coldest I've ever done AC charging. It was 65-68 ambient.

this turned into a book, I know.

I'm going to go through the motions of the FSM when a new fuse box shows up. I figured why stop there? and bought a vacuum pump along with it. I'll update with that, if it solves it. And how and where to test the clutch relay wires at or close to the fuse box.

There's only a couple years of the 100s that have this MGC relay set up, it's horrible. Even the two hundreds have a replaceable relay.

sorry this got so long. This is why I didn't want to write it. Too many variables.
ALl good man. Definitely following this, my AC compressor never disengages, it just keeps on running. I have stock AC system except the compressor that got completely replaced recently vacuum and recharge (I think). It blew cold for a while but now blowing warm when its hotter outside or engine has been running for ages. So something wrong there, one thing it has never done my compressor is cycle on and off to balance the pressures, I even have thermo fans on the condenser now.

Going to do the job myself. I will be replacing condenser, TX Valve (which may be your prob) ... not sure about the evaporator yet, but may do. I'll replace Orings that I can, and oil as well, vacuum and restore refridgerant. I'll see how that goes.

I have a feeling its my condenser/dryer is blocked and full of built up crud /air/other crap from over the years. TX Valve could be gone as well.

Check this out but it does sound like your TX Valve not correctly distributing to high and low pressure sides.

one thing last year I learned. No matter what, replace the condenser. I can't imagine any 100 series as of today still getting by on the original one.
I had no need to replace the front evap but did anyway, along with the expansion v.
I will sit here the entire day waiting for the UPS man with a new fuse box. I'll know tonight. And I'll find out the easiest way to check the MGC relay without taking up the fuse box.
I'm gonna run out of beer.

Jerry, it sounds like the best step is to remove some R134A and lower the pressure. Before you added the extra 38oz, you had a working system at reasonable pressures. It was working at that point, try to get back there.

one thing last year I learned. No matter what, replace the condenser. I can't imagine any 100 series as of today still getting by on the original one.
I had no need to replace the front evap but did anyway, along with the expansion v.
I will sit here the entire day waiting for the UPS man with a new fuse box. I'll know tonight. And I'll find out the easiest way to check the MGC relay without taking up the fuse box.
I'm gonna run out of beer.
I may just do the pressure switch as well, seen how its responsible for the cycling. Gotta check the relays and fuses too which I haven't done yet. Will have a go tommorrow.

Will be August until I replace those parts. Will check back on your thread

maybe I wasn't clear, probably wasn't.
12 liquid hot side not running, 24 vapor next morning when clutch would engage. between 35.2 and 38.4 ounces spec'd

It wasn't the clutch relay. I put a new fuse box in anyway.
Next up is the pressure switch.

mgc.jpg

mgc2.jpg

mgc3.jpg

Last edited:
@ramangain
In a ironic twist, I equalized both sides myself to 45 psi and let it sit for a while.
The clutch now engages as normal but there's probably only 20 ounces in it.
This does make me feel better about any wiring things that could have happened while the engine was out.
I'm changing the pressure switch Monday, fed ex dependent.

Excellent news!

I've just seen enough threads now where people dump in the FSM recommended amount of R134 and stuff stops working. So, either try to replace the pressure switch and pray you can then dump in the FSM recommended R134 amount and it works, or ..... run at a working pressure where you still get colder, dryer air out of the system. I've always figured the latter makes more sense in my world. It's not a mission critical fluid that causes catastrophic damage if it runs low.

If I was a little more logical instead of focusing on wiring and something I had missed it would have been solved after your first post, and saved 578 dollars.

Longer to fix ac and wait for parts than to R&R the engine. Sheesh my wife is pissed.

It's swampy FL. AC, by far, IS more important than a working engine!

I
What happens if you ‘Hotwire’ the clutch with direct 12v? Might try that with a (fused) jumper.

New fuse box - even if it has nothing to do with the problem, good idea. Sorry to see the price jump - I have been running the ECU fuse bypass for years.

Excellent news!

I've just seen enough threads now where people dump in the FSM recommended amount of R134 and stuff stops working. So, either try to replace the pressure switch and pray you can then dump in the FSM recommended R134 amount and it works, or ..... run at a working pressure where you still get colder, dryer air out of the system. I've always figured the latter makes more sense in my world. It's not a mission critical fluid that causes catastrophic damage if it runs low.
So what is you saying? If the R134A gets dumped stuff plays up? i.e. the pressure switch appears to not work correctly when it gets regas'd again.

Interesting...

Yes, I believe it's stuffed as you might say.
It thinks my pressure is too high, when in fact it isn't.
But, when it's charged low like right now, say one and a half cans at 45psi equalized in an ambient of 75 degrees F, then it thinks it's normal.
I could find out exactly, but I'm not wasting anymore r134 on it. And I'm not going to evacuate completely until I have one.

Not saying anything about root cause, more along the point that the pattern seems to be forming.

Evacuate "freon", refill per FSM, blinky AC light. Reduce pressure, copasetic at lower pressure.

Perhaps a PM step will be to just replace the pressure switch during the process if that consistently solves the issue. My Magic 8 ball is currently broken.

Yes, I believe it's stuffed as you might say.
It thinks my pressure is too high, when in fact it isn't.
But, when it's charged low like right now, say one and a half cans at 45psi equalized in an ambient of 75 degrees F, then it thinks it's normal.
I could find out exactly, but I'm not wasting anymore r134 on it. And I'm not going to evacuate completely until I have one.
I found this book if it helps you (probably wont but).
Mine takes 600~700 grams. I imagine it would be pretty tricky with all the oil/gas still inside the system after a good vacuum.

Attachments

• GasBook2014Online.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 99
Maybe it just didn't like being without pressure on it for 11 days. Idk. It's old. But they shouldn't fail. It could always be something else,,,,, expansion valve? Idk. That's only 18 months old.

after working and being gone for 3 months I took it to a wildly overpriced AC shop.

And the verdict is......... two prong connector wasn't seated all the way in.
OF all the things that could have happened, tx valve, oil, locked compressor, wiring, etc, it's embarrassing I had to pay someone 300$ to replug that connector, including another vac and recharge after I'd done it and checked it many many times in march after the engine was reinstalled.

Really I think something else happened that fixed itself after being driven by my wife for 3 months without AC while I was away.

I was fully prepared to spend thousands on fixing it, I have another extra denso compressor NIB if anyone needs one, 85$ off amazon price +shipping.
There's not even a moral of this story.

Oh Jerry .... edit your post as follows and I'll delete this afterwards

"Failing/corroded connector was the culprit that required beating together with Thor's hammer to complete electrical circuit"

You've earned the use of an alternative fact in my mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom