AC Freon Question-AC Freon Completely Empty After Heater Core Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I replaced my heater core I had to disconnect my AC lines which let all the Freon out. With summer coming up I need to get my AC recharged. The AC system seems like something that is easy to mess up and I would rather have a shop do it and avoid issues in the future. I am looking for advice on what I need to do moving forward. Has anyone taken their LC to a shop that is common in most cities to get this done and had success?

I have the FSM and I guess I have just overlooked it but how lbs of Freon go in a 1995 LC if it is completely empty? I have read 1.9ish. Is that correct? Everything with the AC was working great before I took the AC lines loose. I just need to get Freon back in it.

I guess I am just asking what is the best path to proceed forward on getting the Freon recharged? Thanks for the help guys.

Also, there should be a factory sticker, under the hood, specifying oil amount and type as well as refrigerant type and amount. Any AC shop will have access to this data regardless.

Here is Aus its illegal to discharge an A/C to the atmosphre - gas has to be recovered even at wreckers. Are you telling me wer'e wasing our time doing that lol.

Was your system left open for an extended period of time? If so you definitely want to replace the drier and make sure your system is flushed out. Its not hard pulling a vacuum and refilling the system yourself. You can rent the gauges as well.

Was your system left open for an extended period of time? If so you definitely want to replace the drier and make sure your system is flushed out. Its not hard pulling a vacuum and refilling the system yourself. You can rent the gauges as well.
It was left open for awhile. Maybe a few days. How hard is it to replace the drier? How do you go about flushing the system? I am sure there are threads on this but any pointers would be great... or is this just something I could ask the shop to do before they recharge it?

It was left open for awhile. Maybe a few days. How hard is it to replace the drier? How do you go about flushing the system? I am sure there are threads on this but any pointers would be great... or is this just something I could ask the shop to do before they recharge it?

Super easy. It's the cylinder unit attached to your AC hard-line, behind your bumper. Not too expensive from the dealer, maybe $30 or $40. I bought a Denso unit for I believe $20 off Amazon. Only replace this right before you seal everything backup and are ready for a recharge!! Some would say this has to be replaced every time you open the system up.

You'll need to add a bit of AC oil to the drier....there's a formula somewhere online that will give you the exact amount of ounces to add for components that are replaced. But it's probably an ounce or two for the drier.

Flushing can be done with an aerosol flushing product, but you have to use compressed air to make certain you get all of it out if the system.

You'll need about 2.5ish cans of freon...see if you can rent the guages and vacuum from your local auto parts store.

There's quite a few more steps to properly fill the freon, but it's all on Mud.

Let us know if this is something you want to attack yourself. Otherwise buy the drier, take it to the AC shop and have them flush, replace drier and recharge the system.

If you replace the drier, now may be a good time to re-locate it. Look at the 91-92 threads on their location. Basically places it inside the engine bay VS low hanging fruit out front. My .02

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am going to go ahead and relocate it. Does anyone make a kit to replace it?
I haven't owned a 80 in couple years, but think you just need to source the early model tubing and parts. I will let the other more knowledgeable chime in. Just seems the right time and don't remember being to much work, especially since your system is already drained.

I haven't owned a 80 in couple years, but think you just need to source the early model tubing and parts. I will let the other more knowledgeable chime in. Just seems the right time and don't remember being to much work, especially since your system is already drained.

Yeah I saw that last thread you posted. I reached out to him to see if he still has any kits. Thanks for the advice and help.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am going to go ahead and relocate it. Does anyone make a kit to replace it?

IF you have no pressing need to relocate it (off road hazards) then leave it. Toyota moved it because ideally the drier should be in as cool a spot as possible. It's function is more than to hold desiccant. It's stores unneeded (for the conditions) liquid refrigerant. You want the refrigerant going to the Evaporator to be in a liquid state (as much as is possible). With the drier in a warmer/hot area...the chance for 'flash gas' to occur increases, which results in reduced cooling (A/C).

SO.....IF you are moving it to 'save' it from being damaged fine, but it will work better right where it is IF you don't have damage concerns.

IF you have no pressing need to relocate it (off road hazards) then leave it. Toyota moved it because ideally the drier should be in as cool a spot as possible. It's function is more than to hold desiccant. It's stores unneeded (for the conditions) liquid refrigerant. You want the refrigerant going to the Evaporator to be in a liquid state (as much as is possible). With the drier in a warmer/hot area...the chance for 'flash gas' to occur increases, which results in reduced cooling (A/C).

SO.....IF you are moving it to 'save' it from being damaged fine, but it will work better right where it is IF you don't have damage concerns.
I hear ya. Just was a thought since the system was empty.

IF you have no pressing need to relocate it (off road hazards) then leave it. Toyota moved it because ideally the drier should be in as a cool a spot as possible. It's function is more than to hold desiccant. It's stores unneeded (for the conditions) liquid refrigerant. You want the refrigerant going to the Evaporator to be in a liquid state (as much as is possible). With the drier in a warmer/hot area...the chance for 'flash gas' to occur increases. Which results in reduced cooling (A/C).

Thanks for the information. My LC is an off road toy for me. With the trail riding we do it would definitely be in danger. I just added the Slee short bus so it is now exposed more than before.

1589303013230.png

Thanks for the information. My LC is an off road toy for me. With the trail riding we do it would definitely be in danger. I just added the Slee short bus so it is now exposed more than before.

View attachment 2303894
Yup, Even with my lab's bumper I "corked" it out of the way best I could. I would have relocated had I kept the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom