ac fades out below 2000rpm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have noticed that when I am sitting at a red light or in a parking lot with the car running or in slow traffic my ac stops working. Once the vehicle gets moving and the rpms get near 2000 I can feel it come back on. When I'm cruising on the freeway at 70mph it comes out ice cold. The previous owner installed a brand new compressor which didn't help. I didn't think it would. I have a feeling there is some type of hose leak somewhere that seals itself once the rpms increase but I was hopeful this is a common issue with an easy fix.

Read tons of threads on here with lots of speculation. I decided to go ahead and try topping off the refrigerant. Worked for me. Mine was at 25 lbs at 1600rpms at 105 degrees ambient. Bumped it up to 45lbs which was still lower than the amount recommended on the can. How long will it last? Who knows? It was the first thing I tried.

Thanks for the info guys. I will try topping off the refrigerant first and see what happens. If not luck, I found an old thread on here that talks about adjusting the temp gauge from under the hood. It helped some people with the same issue. Once I find what is causing my problems I will let you guys know what I found.

Was it the fan clutch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom