AC Evaporator Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pappy - would you mind telling us where you got the flex hoses? Rock Auto did not seem to show the soft AC lines for my 1988 4Runner 22re. Was it the dealer for those?

Your vent temp is showing about what, 48deg or so, do you happen to know roughly what ambient temp was? Just curious if we are talking 80s or 90s. I'm trying to get a feel for just how good a fresh converted r134 system can be. I've recharged mine a few times, but never to the extent of new compressor\condenser\evap\ etc.

Thanks.

I needed to have one flex hose made by a local shop. NLA from both Toyota and aftermarket. The second hose I found at several sources including Napa and Autozone.

As far as the AC, I can't tell you ambient when I had my 48ish temp. According to the paper work from the installer he got "28 deg with a shop temp of 70 deg." He expected a 30 deg difference in real life.

Thank you for that info pappy.

Pappy - a couple more questions about your new AC setup, not sure where in the country you are, but it says Palm Trees and Cool streams in your location...so I assume it's fairly warm. I live in South Florida where it essentially 70ish in the winter and high 80s in the summer, and it's pretty humid most of the time. How is your AC so far? Not sure if you've actually had to use it or not yet. From reading this thread, I'm assuming that you had r12 up to this point, so it will be interesting to hear how a "properly converted" r134a system compares to an r12 system. I did a poor man's conversion on mine, which basically means I changed the o-rings, put on the fittings, new drier, and vac'd and charged with r134a. It worked, but never very good, which I hear a lot regarding conversions, but yours is all new components, and your vent temperature of 48 looks pretty good to me (assuming it's 68 degrees or higher when that measurement was taken). I'd be happy with a 20deg delta at the vents.

Also, curious about your 3rz swap. When you do that swap, can the 22re ac compressor bolt up to the 3rz or will you have to use a different compressor?

"Palm trees and cool streams" refers to where my head usually is ... Baja California. I live in New Mexico, where the fish tacos SUCK.

I have not had a chance to use the AC yet in the truck. We are still working on spring and it hasn't been warm enough. Plus, my Venza is the daily driver. So, nope, I have not used it yet. I moved to NM from Palm Springs and I remember the old R12 system would freeze us out.

For the 3RZ conversion I have two choices. My current compressor will bolt up to 3 of the 4 bolts on the 3RZ bracket. So I could it if I wanna. But, it would require modifying the engine mount because the current compressor is longer than the compressor used in Tacoma/4Runners. I would also need to source a new pulley, and it's my understanding they might be getting hard to find.

The second option is to use the compressor for the 3RZ which is not as long. It would require some hose magic, but nothing impossible, or even hard. Even though I just spent the money on a new compressor, I'm inclined to use the Tacoma unit. It will bolt up. It will fit. And the pulley will be correct.

Pappy - thanks again for the info, please do update us all when you get a chance to use the new AC, I've waffled for at least a year on whether I want to spend all that money on mine to go with all new OEM components or whether I need to maybe get one of those parallel flow condensers...in the end, I just want to be happy with the performance of the system after spending that kind of money, and with so many people (including myself) doing half-a$$ r134a conversions seems like there are lots of unsatisfactory results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom