AC evaporator cover removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a proud new owner of a 1988 FJ62, my ac vents are not blowing hard so I searched some threads, I cleaned fan & it’s working fine. Next checked evaporator, took off 2 clips and screws I could find in front & pried open,,but not able to remove,,,I stuck phone in & took a pic, need to get in to clean out but bottom cover not coming free,, are there fasteners in back? And how do you get to them?
Also found a box under glove box with a fuse box & some blown glass fuses,, an old alarm system?? I look forward to any advice I can get,,, Thanks

2C8D02FB-F7EB-4095-8442-C8E4D83517E0.jpeg

187D6546-A97B-4BD5-A13B-8DB14D516BDB.jpeg

2B6BC328-0989-4F34-8F15-C66669A5A821.jpeg

I had the same issue with the evaporator box having debris. I wrote up what I did - it should be on here. In a nutshell, I used a small shop vac with a 3/4 inch hose to pull out as much as I could by coming into the evaporator box via the fan duct. There is also the intake, which is in the cowl directly above the AC fan. Drop the fan, and take a picture of the wire mesh at the top of the 'shaft'. If it was like mine, it was blocked with debris as well. It is not easily accessed from the cowl, so I took the same vac hose and pulled as much thru as I could. In both cases, I connected the hose to the exhaust as well and used that to try and blow some of the debris loose, to then vacuum up more.

I recall this is the thread I used to remove and replace my evaporator. Was just sitting in traffic with ice cold air blowing on me yesterday thinking how happy I was I did this one. Replaced the evaporator with one from Rock Auto.

thanks for the reply's,
on looking a little into this seems there is no ez dropping of that bottom cover of the evaporator,, too bad,, would be nice,, I will start with cleaning out with a shop vac & closing front part of cover I pried down,
Has anyone used a evaporator cleaner? looks like you spray in with foam, drill hole in bottom to drain..?

Hopefully my evaporator does not need to be replaced,,, I feel cool air, the lower vents & defrost blow hard,, but just a trickle from dash vents, I think i will take off some of the ducts & see if i find anything blocking..
I was just looking for schematics on line & stumbled on this site,, great resource

I didn't mention the spray cleaner. If you use it, it should drain out the condensate drain tube. On a separate project, I did disconnect my ductwork and install new foam at all of the connections, to seal them.

Just did this to an 84fj60 that i am doing an ls swap on also pulled the whole dash and replaced the heater core and refoamed all the baffle doors and resealed all the duct work.

20190320_184104.jpg

Right where everything is collected was a leak replaced everything evaporator expansion valve pressure switch condenser coil accumulator new ac lines for ls swap only thing i didn't replace is the fan

wow, hope i don't need to go that route,,,looks like a big job but can see a beautiful thing when done,,
& thanks a lot for the pics, definitely shows what i'am dealing with

Oh you can drop it without removing the dash but installing it again is another story. Lots of clips and screws, more than you think hold that sucker together.

i checked the ones above the fan,, i cleaned them up, almost seemed like they were foam covered,, now deteriorated,, but flapping & diverting air fine,

Those flapper doors are for fresh air and recirculation and yes they had foam on them to help seal up. Check the one on the driver side they control where the air goes

I recommend taking everything apart and if you really want to go for it, remove not just the fan ( which should be deep cleaned), but also the window wiper motor should be removed to access the cowl. You'll find all sorts of crap in there.

Detailed over in my thread.

^^^Oh ya...Lots of crap in there!

P1000082.JPG
P1000083.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom