AC condenser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Factory AC utilizes a different radiator in addition to the condenser
Hey Greg, I’m running a non A/C radiator with the factory A/C system and it has been fine. So “shortround”, maybe it’s time for a radiator and / or a fan clutch to get your temp back to acceptable.

When I pieced my system together, I used a jeep something condenser I got on ebay for cheap. I made a couple of brackets to mount it to the front of the radiator. The brackets are just flat plates (1/8 bar stock) connected to the radiator support with countersunk screws, the plates extend out an inch or so on each side of the radiator support and the condenser mounts to those plates using the rubber isolators. It is a tight fit. I remember there was an interference with the TOYOTA emblem mounting bolts, can't remember how I addressed it tho.

I have the factory AC radiator that was re-cored by a local shop. I have a 3fe with no overheating issues.

View attachment 1927141
Is the factory AC radiator thinner than the non AC radiator?

A non A/C radiator is narrower, I can tell you that. I believe the radiator mount is wider also. I haven’t verified that, but I think it was part of the A/C install kit to accommodate the larger A/C radiator.

Just confirming above. Non AC radiator is narrower? For some reason I would think AC radiator is thinner because room is needed for the condenser?

Look at the schematics for trucks that came with factory AC. The battery tray is shifted as is location of compressor.

The 1/79 bib redesign besides a square bezel and headlights a little further apart it is thinner as well to make room for a A/C condenser.
IMG_20201226_142846301.jpg

Can see how close the expanded metal screen to the front.

The factory ac radiator is wider but I think the same thickness. The support and shroud are also wider of course. There is not much extra space in there but it fits. If you have an early bib that uses the domed headlight cans, they will not fit with the wider radiator.

20210120_144500.jpg
20210120_144525.jpg
20210120_144554.jpg
20210120_144605.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom