AC compressor noise, Any Colorado Springs AC service recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud,

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an automotive air conditioning service expert in Colorado Springs that can manage a pretty quick turnaround on an inspection and possible evacuation/recharge or oil adding/etc.

Backstory is that we are 1400 miles into a Summer road trip in our '97 which includes pulling the popup camper along. The trip is going great and 80 is doing it's best with the hills and headwinds but the AC compressor has been making some occasional noise when things are really warmed up (coolant around 205 - 210). With 270k on the odometer and likely og compressor, if I were home I'd just replace the compressor/drier/expansion valve and have the system evaced and recharged but I don't want to waste vacation time getting into all of that now. On the other hand I also don't want to run extra risk of AC failure with a 2 and 5 year old (plus mom) on board. We are in the NM and CO mountains for the next week roughly so AC isn't that important but the trip from CO back to East TN will require functional AC if possible. I figure at least having an expert inspect and try a few easy things could be worth a try if I can have that done with minimal time investment.

I'll also add that my guess is that the AC is possibly overcharged or contaminated as it seems quiet/happy when cool (engine temps below 190) but starts to make a light sound only when the compressor is engaged when hot. I recently repaced the AC idler/bearing and it's running an OEM belt. The noise also doesn't change when I mist the belt. I'm sure it could be a few issues, including a compressor on it's way out, but I've not really looked at it that much. When I got the 80 the AC didn't work well so I added some 134 from the auto parts store and it's worked well for the years since with no noticeable noise. I don't recall exactly what I added but I don't think it included leak sealer or oil though I guess it could have had either? It's still cooling great, but it's talking to me so I'm trying to listen.

Any recs. on an AC expert or other relatively quick / easy tests/checks/fixes are appreciated. My guess is that the AC has a long way to go before it fails but the thought of days of hot driving with the young kids has me putting some effort into avoiding AC failure.

And since photos make mud better here are two of the passengers that want to stay cool on our way back from such interesting places as Bandelier NM

20210628_111410.jpg

Last edited:
Stay cool as best you can!

I don't have any specific recs for the Springs. For what's going on with your AC, if original, you're due for a failure. Most often it's a toasted A/C clutch, which can be replaced by itself. However, list on a new Denso A/C complete with clutch is round $250 IIRC and if it's got to come out for a clutch, might as well replace with new.

Our clutch failed a couple of summers back. Had the drier replaced along with the complete compressor. Was only a couple of hours of shop work, so might be worth just going for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom