AC Compressor Eliminator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rascal

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 95 TBI 350 Chevy Van motor. If you are looking at it from the front the AC compressor is in the upper Right (Drivers Side) spot. It is the long cylinderical compressor.

I have searched for an eliminator kit but can't find one. Anyone know of one or have an idea on a way to build one?

TIA

Make a compressor out of it.

2nd vote, make it a compressor....those cheap POS harrison pancake jobbies work fine, mine hasn't siezed yet

They did make a idler pulley that went there if you ordered a vehicle without A/C. I've never seen one, but my local CarQuest has a picture of one in an ad for replacement pulleys. Unfortunately, they sell the pulley, but not the bracket.

Are you using the aluminum cast brackets, or the stamped plate single bracket?

I will eventually hook up air fittings to both the small blocks I have that set up on.

GM sells it, I think 4 seasons does also.
Gumby he has the cast aluminim brackets
If ya' can't find one holler, and I will locate ya one, you'll then owe me even more beer.
OBA is nice, but you have a Power tank......
Butch

Mace said:
Make a compressor out of it.

It already is a compressor :rolleyes:

Are we still on for next week? We'll be in on Monday.

woody said:
2nd vote, make it a compressor....those cheap POS harrison pancake jobbies work fine, mine hasn't siezed yet

I've thought about that - But I really like my Power Tank. I'm afraid that at some point the compressor is going to sieze. Plus it's weight that I just don't need.

Gumby said:
They did make a idler pulley that went there if you ordered a vehicle without A/C. I've never seen one, but my local CarQuest has a picture of one in an ad for replacement pulleys. Unfortunately, they sell the pulley, but not the bracket.

Are you using the aluminum cast brackets, or the stamped plate single bracket?

I will eventually hook up air fittings to both the small blocks I have that set up on.

Mine is the Aluminum bracket that holds both the AC compressor up top and the Power Steering pump on the bottom.

Texican said:
GM sells it, I think 4 seasons does also.
Gumby he has the cast aluminim brackets
If ya' can't find one holler, and I will locate ya one, you'll then owe me even more beer.
OBA is nice, but you have a Power tank......
Butch

Thanks - just remember - I'm your Bitch...

I googled 4 seasons but didn't find anything that was applicable. Do you have a website or a phone number for them?

I ran the POS A-6 compressor on my previous V8, never siezed....and what if it does? the guts sieze, ya turn it off, and rely on a buddy for air until you can get to the junkyard and spend $15 on a replacement...

betcha the compressor weighs less than the powertank, AND it's front weight :D

Rascal said:
It already is a compressor :rolleyes:

Are we still on for next week? We'll be in on Monday.
s*** I forgot, But of course we are still on :)

Just name the time and place :)

You have been around Grogan too much. The weight of an OBA system is not that great..

next question...obviously, this pulley/bracket is hard to find.....

what happens when the pulley siezes in the middle of nowhere, and you can't just hit a junkyard for a replacement?

woody said:
I ran the POS A-6 compressor on my previous V8, never siezed....and what if it does? the guts sieze, ya turn it off, and rely on a buddy for air until you can get to the junkyard and spend $15 on a replacement...

betcha the compressor weighs less than the powertank, AND it's front weight :D

I'm more concerned about the pully siezing and breaking my serpentine belt. I did that after breaking my Passenger Side motor mount and slamming my power steering pump pully into the frame. I found out that I have ZERO steering.

Yes, you are correct, the compressor adds negligable weight. But I'd have to add and oiler then a dryer and a tank..... I've got a big enough project on my hands with out messing with an onboard air system...

I still haven't posted up my build up thread...

Last edited:
woody said:
next question...obviously, this pulley/bracket is hard to find.....

what happens when the pulley siezes in the middle of nowhere, and you can't just hit a junkyard for a replacement?

Good point... Carry a spare? It just seem that a compressor that get's it's lubrication from oil - that is running no oil, has a better than average shot of siezing up. An eliminator pulley would, most likely, have a method for lubrication.

I've just always been concerned with the longevity of that AC compressor.

hhhhmmmm...if the pully on the AC siezes, you can hit any junkyard and get a replacement....it sounds like the pully/bracketry you are searching for isn't a shelf item....

I run a $10 inline oiler, and a $5 inline filter..or thereabouts...both were cheap...tapped the stock alum block for pipe-thread fittings, and viola....

dryer? tank? For airing up a beadlock tire, no need, even if ya junk the inner bead, no "burst" of air is required to get the inner to seat....and considering all the other crap that gets all over the truck, a tiny amount of oil in the tire is the least of my concerns...lol

obviously, you don't carry air tools on the trail either, since that's more weight ;)

remember, the pully spins independantly of the compressor...the ONLY time the oiler/compressor comes into play is when in use....bet I've got 20 minutes on mine in a year....and if the compressor siezes from lack of oil, just turn it off and let the pully spin free.....

and I don't carry a spare, that's what the convience of a common part and lots of junkyards offers.... ;)

woody said:
hhhhmmmm...if the pully on the AC siezes, you can hit any junkyard and get a replacement....it sounds like the pully/bracketry you are searching for isn't a shelf item....

I run a $10 inline oiler, and a $5 inline filter..or thereabouts...both were cheap...tapped the stock alum block for pipe-thread fittings, and viola....

dryer? tank? For airing up a beadlock tire, no need, even if ya junk the inner bead, no "burst" of air is required to get the inner to seat....and considering all the other crap that gets all over the truck, a tiny amount of oil in the tire is the least of my concerns...lol

obviously, you don't carry air tools on the trail either, since that's more weight ;)

Hmmm - I guess I could sell the Power Tank.... This is why i love to post this kind of stuff up. How did you wire your compressor up?

woody said:
remember, the pully spins independantly of the compressor...the ONLY time the oiler/compressor comes into play is when in use....

No - I did not realize this... :eek:

single boring toggle switch on the dash, next to a few other boring toggles...no relay for this tho....there are two wires into the compressor IIRC....ground and power....all that does is clamp the spinning pully onto the compressor shaft (magnetic clutch, IIRC)

Heck, I ran mine for the first 6 months with a alligator clip that hooked to the alternator when I needed air, and clamped to a ground when I didn't....

Forgot tho, I also run a 150psi popoff on the output too, damn compressor tosses out 300ish psi....add $10 for that :D

hhhmmm...wonder how a powahtank would work on the 80... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom