AC Compressor Dying - replace with new or used? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dunbar

SILVER Star
Threads
I think my AC compressor is dying. I put new O rings in it not long ago to fix a leak and it worked fine for a while.

Then the belt broke and I replaced it with an old one from when I replaced them all. It was Friday and no time to order new ones.

Belt started sqawking intermittently and now the compressor makes noise and the AC works sometimes but not always. The clutch engages and there is coolant.

Should I replace with a new one or a used one from Mudbay?

There are several available for the 62' in the $50 to $75 range. I plan to keep the truck for ever and do not plan to convert it to anything other than R-12.:cool:

Thanks

I got a used on and its fine now but its difficult to be sure the used one is going to work. I got mine from cruiserparts and the first two they sent leaked. They sent new ones with no charge, but I still had the expense of draining the first two and refilling it each time.

Get new and save the headaches. I tried used as well and got to pay to charge and evacuate each time. It's NOT worth it. You can buy just a bare compressor and use the old pulley and clutch though and that will save a few dollars. You just need some big "C" clip pliers to swap the clutch over.

Thanks CG.

I imagine the squawking is the bearings in the compressor itself and not the clutch.

Does anyone know what breaks on these units? Could it be the clutch going out?

Dave,
I would locate a shop in town and have yours rebuilt. Austin rebuilds here in town has done several for me. With a city the size of Houston, you should have no problem locating a rebuilt one.

Good luck -

If you are going to keep it forever, best bet is to put in a new compressor, expansion valve & drier, clean out the evaporator fins and put new seals in all around. Do it once and be done with it.Rex @ coolstreamac.com is a mud member and will hook you up if you give him a call. He's the CDan of the AC world.

The denso "remanufactured" compressors that he sells are about the same price as "rebuilt" units, but they are essentially new compressors... the only part that gets reused is the housing.

I just did this a few months ago w/134 and am totally pleased with it. Seat of the pants feel is that R12 gets colder quicker, but the R134 gets plenty cold, but just takes a few more cycles to get there. I borrowed the vac pump and guages from Autozone and charged it myself to save a few $$$.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom