AC Clutch Bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did some searching and I'm striking out on this one, so apologies up front. I suspect my AC clutch is toast, as it squeels like hell and the pulley locks up or spins intermittently when turned on, but spins freely when turned off. Is this the bearing? If so, can I get a part number to replace it with? AC was working fine up until I stopped using it this fall, so I'm hesitant to replace the entire compressor and deal with opening up the system and falling down that slippery slope.

Thanks!

Squealing belt could be a couple of things. Compressor locking up, belt not tight or worn, AC pressure too high due to not enough airflow through condenser.

Grab the clutch and turn it. It should turn with a little resistance. If that turns the odds of the compressor being seized is slim.
Check belt tension and wear. This will be more common.
That leaves airflow. Leaves, dirt, badly clogging condenser. Fan clutch issue. (this will be prominent at idle mostly).
Im assuming you didn't add any refrigerant recently. If so, you probably added too much. This issue will cause the pressure to shoot up. More load on belt causing slippage and possible compressor damage.

If a bearing goes out, it growls just like a wheel bearing. Clutch coil could burn out and the compressor will not engage. Not enough power to the coil and the clutch will drag with a sliding metal sound, not belt squeal.

In the shop, Ive seen worn belts and seizing compressors on the top of the list. Very few clutch issues. This one i'm leaning towards belt because of your description.

You could also have 2 issues. One for the squeal and the other for compressor turning on and off. Its suppose to do that some normally. Fix noise first then you need to have refrigerant level checked.

How far have you gone to diagnose this?

Have you had the belt off to turn it by hand, or revved the motor while underhood / watching the belt?

Have you cycled the crap out of the A/C while running to try & free up the clutch? (I’m lazy / go for the easy fix first, I’d try this myself)

Mine is starting to squeak a bit, I bought a new bearing and the special 90 degree snapring pliers and am going to change the bearing when I install my WAIC this spring.

IF you decide it needs to replaced its cheaper to buy a new Denso compressor with clutch from Rock Auto compared to a new clutch from Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom