AC Blower Very Weak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, so when I got my 60, AC was not blowing cold. Hot here now, so did the R134 swap last week and now it blows cold. Issue is I am not getting much pressure or high speed from the blower. Could this be an issue with the motor or maybe a stuck flap? Welcome any help/advice.

Maybe your flap lever is not connected when you did the r134a convert? Do all the fan speeds work?
there is a very slight difference between the different speeds. How do I check if the flap lever is connected right?

Regardless of air speed blowing out the vents, a properly running fan motor will speed up audibly when the different speeds are selected with the sliders. Low will be a quiet murmer, Hi will be loud— even if all the vents were shut off.

The fan motor is not brushless. Stuff wears inside it. After a few decades, enough crud can build up inside to impede the rotation of the motor.

My suggestion- buy a new fan motor. They're super easy to replace. (RockAuto has 3rd party replacements)

Fan motor could look like this this one didn't work at all bit if you held it upside down it would work on all speeds
Tommy

20200620_222703.jpg

20200620_222653.jpg

20200620_222535.jpg

Regardless of air speed blowing out the vents, a properly running fan motor will speed up audibly when the different speeds are selected with the sliders. Low will be a quiet murmer, Hi will be loud— even if all the vents were shut off.

The fan motor is not brushless. Stuff wears inside it. After a few decades, enough crud can build up inside to impede the rotation of the motor.

My suggestion- buy a new fan motor. They're super easy to replace. (RockAuto has 3rd party replacements)
@OSS 2 for 2 in 2 days! You the man! Thx all. Ordering a new fan motor now.

Get a new wheel too?

Get a new wheel too?
You mean the plastic hamster wheel fan?
The new motor might come with it? You should have a look at the old one at least. You don't want to bust it pulling it off the probably rusty shaft.

Edit; It's prolly a good idea to get in there and have a look at the fan etc first , then you can inspect the flaps/ cables to see if it's all connected properly.

Last edited:
Thx all! Ordered a new blower and new resistor. Better to swap both out at the same time.

If your speeds are not very different, prolly the resistor, but could be both resistor and motor...

You'll need to move the connectors over from the old motor to the new as it comes with bare wire leads... Quality motor though, made in Canada.

There was somebody looking for old blower motors? @Spook50 ??

If your speeds are not very different, prolly the resistor, but could be both resistor and motor...

You'll need to move the connectors over from the old motor to the new as it comes with bare wire leads... Quality motor though, made in Canada.

There was somebody looking for old blower motors? @Spook50 ??
Yes, still looking for any old OEM blowers for the 60/62 series to experiment with modernizing the design. Converting to brushless is out, unless I put together an entire new setup that could hold the squirrel cage and fit the fan housing. Highly doubtful I would even attempt to tackle that at this point. I do have an antique lathe I'll be restoring that, once in good running condition will be great for restoring old DC motors. Need to complete that and then build a test bed so I can measure RPM and current draw with the design ideas I have and see how they compare.

As far as the aftermarket motors, if you're referring to the Four Seasons motors, they are garbage compared to OEM. Tolerable for a couple years, then they get loud. From the get-go they don't move nearly as much air as the OEM motors could when in good condition. There just isn't a GOOD aftermarket replacement for our OEM motors out there, so I'm hoping I can find a method for breathing new life back into the OEM units and maybe an upgrade to airflow and sound levels in the process.

Edit: Just looked on Rockauto. Interesting, as the VDO motor wasn't listed when I last ordered my Four Seasons motor (my second one, at that). They claim to use ball bearings, where the OEM motors use bronze bushings to support the rotor shaft. That's something I had considered experimenting with when I can do some work on OEM motors, except I was looking into needle bearings assemblies. I'm curious now to see how the VDO performs and lasts versus the Four Seasons.

Also interesting; that VDO motor is $15 less at the O'reilly near me than on Rockauto, plus I get a veteran discount at O'reilly 😂

Last edited:
@OSS
@Spook50
@Spike Strip

can anyone confirm this is the needed OEM 2 pin male YAZAKI Housing needed to attach to the new motor bare leads ?

if so , ill donate one and 2 solid Brass male needed new terminals as well to @NYIronPig 's project .......

1593079375154.png

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yes, still looking for any old OEM blowers for the 60/62 series to experiment with modernizing the design. Converting to brushless is out, unless I put together an entire new setup that could hold the squirrel cage and fit the fan housing. Highly doubtful I would even attempt to tackle that at this point. I do have an antique lathe I'll be restoring that, once in good running condition will be great for restoring old DC motors. Need to complete that and then build a test bed so I can measure RPM and current draw with the design ideas I have and see how they compare.

As far as the aftermarket motors, if you're referring to the Four Seasons motors, they are garbage compared to OEM. Tolerable for a couple years, then they get loud. From the get-go they don't move nearly as much air as the OEM motors could when in good condition. There just isn't a GOOD aftermarket replacement for our OEM motors out there, so I'm hoping I can find a method for breathing new life back into the OEM units and maybe an upgrade to airflow and sound levels in the process.

Edit: Just looked on Rockauto. Interesting, as the VDO motor wasn't listed when I last ordered my Four Seasons motor (my second one, at that). They claim to use ball bearings, where the OEM motors use bronze bushings to support the rotor shaft. That's something I had considered experimenting with when I can do some work on OEM motors, except I was looking into needle bearings assemblies. I'm curious now to see how the VDO performs and lasts versus the Four Seasons.

Also interesting; that VDO motor is $15 less at the O'reilly near me than on Rockauto, plus I get a veteran discount at O'reilly 😂
Yea I went with the VDO motor.

Happy to send you my OEM blower once I install the new one.

Might be worth cross referencing to see if any other brands used the same motor as oem. Ever car has a blower setup and most use some sort of squirrel cage design.

Yea I went with the VDO motor.

Happy to send you my OEM blower once I install the new one.
That would be outstanding. I'll happily pay shipping and a 6pack of beer for your effort 😁

@Seth S I had wondered the same thing after seeing several AC Delco motors with very similar (possibly identical but impossible to tell by eyeballing a photo) designs. As I have free time I'll dig around and see what i might be able to find. In a perfect world, I'd love to build a brushless motor that would move a buttload of air and have an integrated controller that would operate based off the current it's allowed to pull from the OEM wiring harness connector.

@OSS
@Spook50
@Spike Strip

can anyone confirm this is the needed OEM 2 pin male YAZAKI Housing needed to attach to the new motor bare leads ?

if so , ill donate one and 2 solid Brass male needed new terminals as well to @NYIronPig 's project .......

That looks like the proper connector, but it's been years since I looked at one ...

And FWIW, I used a VDO motor as a replacement and it's been great for 10 years or so.... Blows fine. I think they were a reboxed Siemens at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom