absolute banging from back wheel area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this started off as a slight clunk while braking today. definitely rotational noise, i heard it once couldn’t replicate then went up to the ski hill. on the way down it started banging again only while braking and left turns at first. as i got farther down the canyon it began getting worse and worse and now it’s loud as hell all the time.

first things i checked were lugs, caliper bolts and shook the drive shaft to look for play. what else should i look at?

banging from the rear or front fo the vehicle? if it is rear check the shock mounts are not disconnected. Also the pins that hold in the brake pads,,, any of them coming out and in contact with the wheel? if they are missing, brake pads sticking out/falling out?

Also what year you driving?

if you checked the bolts, was the vehicle jacked up with front and or raars off the ground where you could free spin the wheels and see if you can replicate/narrow down?

banging from the rear or front fo the vehicle? if it is rear check the shock mounts are not disconnected. Also the pins that hold in the brake pads,,, any of them coming out and in contact with the wheel? if they are missing, brake pads sticking out/falling out?
94, definitely coming from the rear. and no it was on the ground, i pulled over on the way home to check it out and didn’t see anything noticeable.

Ok well if you have ABS brakes then you should be running disk brakes in the back and my thought about the pens holding the pads is possible. do your best to inspect the rim on the inside to see if you have any shiny spots showing impact of anything. you can probably get a peak even at the caliper without removing the tire. and verify the pad and the pins are in place still.

I had a knocking sound on mine once that was because the lower bolt on the shock came off and the bottom part of the shock was hitting the inside of the rim.

Ok well if you have ABS brakes then you should be running disk brakes in the back and my thought about the pens holding the pads is possible. do your best to inspect the rim on the inside to see if you have any shiny spots showing impact of anything. you can probably get a peak even at the caliper without removing the tire. and verify the pad and the pins are in place still.

I had a knocking sound on mine once that was because the lower bolt on the shock came off and the bottom part of the shock was hitting the inside of the rim.
yes, abs disc brakes. definitely no shiny spots on either back rims. bolts have dropped out of my calipers before, it sounded just like that so i checked and it drove fine forward and reverse. what’s going on now started off very quiet and is now incredibly loud, way louder than missing caliper bolt ever was. i’m gunna take a better look at it in the morning and jack her up and try to see what’s good w her

Any luck?

Mine was doing this. The exhaust came loose from the hanger. I reattached it and the noise went away. I found it my using a rubber mallet and tapping different parts of the truck.

Put both axles on jack stands, have someone get in it start it, put it in gear and try to simulate the issue while you careful inspect the area to zero in on the issue.

A mechanics stethoscope will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom