ABS sensors, universal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a quick question for anyone who ma know first hand.
I will probably be picking up a pair of front abs sensors for my 80 from a somoone on mud but wanted to see if they were all universal.
The front sensor i am getting are from a 96 or 97 and my 80 is a 94.
Will i have any problems putting these in my truck?
Thanks

Hmmm, close but no cigar. Mine have a small square piece of metal that continues out of the senor itself. no pics handy. I did talk to cdan today on the phone but he mentioned how busy they were today, wasnt going to take his time with my petty issues.
Anyone else know for sure?
Mine do look slightly different then these...

Cruiserhead05 said:
Bump,

Anyone know an answer for this?

Nope, and CDan doesn't either (spoke to him about this as I have a bad sensor on my `94). The later trucks use entirely different wiring harnesses, so there may even be a different ECU for the ABS system. And Toyota doesn't sell the sensors separately (of course).

Hmm,

So is there any real fix for this. Could i just disconnect my front sensors? i know i wont have ABS but some are running their 80's w/o it...

I just happened into this very issue. Bought a new front ABS harness for my '94 and it comes with the new style. Here's a pic of my old one (silver) next to the new one. Can anyone verify that part # 04895-60013 is for '94? I'm thinking it is since the harnes matches the original perfectly. Just the sensors are different and people say the newer cruisers have a completely different harness.

The FSM talks about adjusint the air gap of the sensor using shims that crimp on the old metal sensor bracket. Anyone know how to do this with the new plastic one?

TIA
115_1526b.JPG

So tia,

I cant answer any questions about shims but did the later 95+ work or have you tried it? i sent my paypal tonight for a pair of 97 sensors the the gentlemen who sold them to me is kind enough to take them back if they dont work.

Cruiserhead05 said:
Hmm,

So is there any real fix for this. Could i just disconnect my front sensors? i know i wont have ABS but some are running their 80's w/o it...

Yes you can just disconnect them. Don't leave the pigtail hanging though.

My right front sensor crapped out over a year ago. I drove it with the ABS light on for 11 months. Then I needed to get it inspected so I tore the dash apart and pulled the ABS light! :D Now..."no problems".

As I have said many time when people bring up this issue - I have TRIED to get lock up my tires in a empty parking lot...stopping from 30 - 35 - 40 - 45 and pressing hard on the pedal and couldn't get them to lock. The only time I have had them lock was on wet pavment and I was trying really hard. I like the way it stops without ABS personally...I feel more in control and as a trained driver getting to use "Threshold Braking" is sweet!

SO if those sensors don't work for you...there is always the cheap fix! :D

knosack said:
I just happened into this very issue. Bought a new front ABS harness for my '94 and it comes with the new style. Here's a pic of my old one (silver) next to the new one. Can anyone verify that part # 04895-60013 is for '94? I'm thinking it is since the harnes matches the original perfectly. Just the sensors are different and people say the newer cruisers have a completely different harness.

The FSM talks about adjusint the air gap of the sensor using shims that crimp on the old metal sensor bracket. Anyone know how to do this with the new plastic one?

TIA

If the plug matches...put it on and see if it works! Or...read my solution in the previous post.

You can also just pull the ABS fuse in the engine compartment and then pull the light on the dash as well.

I too like the way the truck stops without ABS--it's much more of a 'real, live" feel to the rig.

If you are sure the problems are with the sensors, then you might try to find a used one at a junk yard.

Someone else recommended this junkyard:

http://nix99.com/?

You might be able to get just a sensor or the whole unit for a decent price. Toyota charges an arm and a leg.... :rolleyes:

Best.
-onur

Well my 97 sensors have been paid for and should be in the mail soon. I will report back and when i try to pop them in and tell you guys what happens.

Cruiserhead05 said:
So tia,

I cant answer any questions about shims but did the later 95+ work or have you tried it? i sent my paypal tonight for a pair of 97 sensors the the gentlemen who sold them to me is kind enough to take them back if they dont work.

I've decided to run the old ones until I can verify they will work. Here's a post from Brian Lawrence on our club forum.

The part number you posted, 04895-60013 is the one for a '94. Look and see if that number is on the sensor anywhere. Does your reciept show a part number change for a supersession? I would also check for the same length from base where bolt secures to the metal protruding tip. The picture on IH8mud looked like they were different. If you don't show a change in part numbers I would have to double check on Monday and see if you have the right part or it was boxed wrong or looked up wrong?

Set up procedures on a new housing would be to start off with a reference shim of .2 mm or .008 with the shim that the sensor came with put into the housing clear codes (verify codes cleared) take on a test drive up to 50+mph then check for codes again if 71 (right) or 72 (left) is output then sensor not close enough yet. take shim off by bending tabs back and start with the thickes one in the packet. Repete procedure until codes are not output then remove reference shim and install. If using existing housing pull off old shim from old sensor and install (flat rate method) not as safe but probably okay.

use the DLC1 connector under hood should be a black or grey box @ 1x2 inch with a flip open lid. use a jumper wire to go from ts - E1 for a sensor check and from TC - E1 for a trouble code check.

After having written all of this fodder I think your question was how to adjust the new plastic sensor. I think unless you can verify the correct part, don't do it. Unless the length is the same no damage will be done. You might also compare resistance to the known good sensor on the other side.

Part number 04895-60060 was for '95 -'97. Maybe this will be of some help if the part number is written on it.

FRM shows the installation of '95-'97 years sensor to be without shims. Just FYI. Resistance of later model was .6 - 2.0K ohms and your year was .87 - 1.27K ohms. The FRM shows the later years having duel tips. So once again I would say I don't think you have the right sensor.

The resistance on my new sensors is 1.20 and 1.18 K Ohms, so they could be either. The part # on the new plastic ones are 89542-60030. I'd like to verify they are for use with the '94 before putting them in.

OK, so I put everything back together, using the new harness (since I already had it in place) and the old sensors. No ABS light! There was some corrosion on one of the right sensor connections in the connector in the wheel well, so I'm now thinking that was my problem all along, not the sensor itself. I always assumed it was the sensor since it's a bit bent and chewed on the end (like someone didn't remove it on a birfield service). We'll see if it stays off.

I still don't know if the new sensors will work, but I plan to find out.

Kurt, im slightly confused....

Can you give us a run down of what your truck has in it as far as the abs.

Its 1994 with 95-97 sensors?

Or is it a 94 with a 95-97 harness?

Sorry.

It's a '94. I bought a new front ABS harness kit (with sensors) and it came with two harness wires and two new sensors. The harness matches my original one with one wire going from LH wheel well, down the control arm and one wire to the LH sensor and the other wire going midway along the axle. The other harness connects mid-axle with the other one and continues over the pumpkin to the RH sensor.

The new sensors appear to be the same as the '95-'97 ones, so I haven't dared put them in. Didn't have time to try to verify they are for us in the older cruisers today.

My ABS light went off after putting in the new harness with the old sensors. However I still get the ABS kicking in just before a complete stop and turning right. I think that's a symptom of my beat-up sensor. If I can verify the new sensors are OK and figure out how to adjust the gap, I'll give them a try.

Did you ever get around to trying the sensors I am kind of in the same predicament but I have a 95 with the 94 sensors the lay out of the abs wiring are completely different My abs is still with out working even after changing the sensors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom