ABS Light/Transmision Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are 9 days into a 15-day vacation with our ’93 TLC and are having a stage problem. After two days of mild four-wheeling in Canyon De Chelly, AZ the problem appeared. The symptoms are:

ABS Light Stays Lit

Transmission/Break Interlock will not allow the vehicle to be shifted out of Park.

After the Interlock Manual Release is used to the take the transmission out of Park, the transmission will not shift automatically (i.e. when in drive it starts in high gear but will manually shift to R, L, 2, and D

OD button has no effect (I am not sure if the overdrive is on or off)

The Brakes work fine

This problem comes on with out any warning, and usually disappears with out any warning or reason in 10 min to 1 day.

The Problem has been getting more prevalent.

As we passed through Durango, CO I took the truck into the Toyota Dealer there. The problem had been with us all day the day before but in the morning it was fine and the problem did not re-occur on the way to the dealer. They looked at it and said that it had dirty Fusible Links between the Brakes and the ECU and that they were not able to communicate with the ECU. They cleaned them and said they could then communicate with the ECU (cheap $107 bill). Afterward the truck was fine, though it had been fine the whole morning before the dealer visit.

We moved on to Silverton, CO and Escalante, UT and did some very intense off-road driving with no problems for 4 days.

Last night the truck was fine coming back to our cabin. This morning I started it up and the problem was back. The Problem stayed constant all day today.

Does anybody have any idea what this it or the fix for it?

Thank you very much in advance,

Scott

Scott,
I had a problem that was a little bit similar on a 97. When I would start the cruiser the ABS light would stay on. There is a controller in the center of the dash (approx. $540.00) on the floor just in front of the shifter that the dealer said had gone bad. (50k miles) They accused me of running through water and getting it wet and did not want to warranty it. After some discussion they supplied the part and I paid for the labor ($140.00). FWIW, no way was the thing ever wet.
Bill

You may have more than one problem. In regards to the transmission shifting, I have seen the neutral safety switch connector/pins damaged by long term seeping of coolant from the PHH (pesky heater hose) at the LH rear of the cylinder head. In the vehicle I saw, all of the pins were corroded and the transmission couldn't decide what to do. In two other cases there have been bad #1 shift solinoids(one of them mine just the other day). All three vehicles had A442's. When the ABS light is lit is the center diff lock light also lit? Lastly, did anything get spilled on the console recently? There is some stuff under there that does not like to get wet.

Hate to bring an old thread up but...

...so I've searched under all the possible terms I could and got a few hits.

I am having many of the same problems that DS Jackson originally posted in 1993. Specs:

1997 FZJ80 143K
New Tranny fluid 2K ago--M1
Factory Lockers

Symptoms:

--ABS light goes on and off intermittanly

--Rig will not shift out of 'park' unless done manually.

--Brake light fuses are fine--all checked this afternoon.

--ABS fuse is fine too.

Background:

Had wheels rotated and balanced last Weds. GoodYear screwed it up. Went back again the next morning (Thursday), they did it ok. Drove 500 miles and noticed a new squeaking sound when going in 'reverse.'

Today:

Filled up on gas, got in and couldn't shift out of 'park.' Did it manually and drove to construction site. Worked. Came back out, started her up, couldn't shift out of 'park.' ABS warning light was on console. Did it manually and backing up the squeak was mysteriously gone. Drove a bit. AFter stopping at a light, let go of brake and ABS light came back on...

Anyway, that's where I am at. I am currently going out to the rig to check the ABS sensors on all four wheels. I am going to recheck the fuses, but I assume the status hasn't changed.

What else would folks recommend to trouble shoot (before I go and put my alternator in a bucket of water!! :flipoff2: )? I have an FSM but no OBD II Reader.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

You checked the fuses...did you check the brake light bulbs as well? Also when you check the ABS sensors are you talking about removing them and cleaning them as per the FAQ? Also inspect the wiring harness.

Do you have a code reader? My 94 holds a code for ABS problem I assume the 97's would also. That could point you to a specific wheel.

If you have a brake light out and the ABS problems they might be seperate issues....if they scewed something up at the shop....good luck proving your case.

TX_TLC said:
You checked the fuses...did you check the brake light bulbs as well? Also when you check the ABS sensors are you talking about removing them and cleaning them as per the FAQ? Also inspect the wiring harness.

Do you have a code reader? My 94 holds a code for ABS problem I assume the 97's would also. That could point you to a specific wheel.

If you have a brake light out and the ABS problems they might be seperate issues....if they scewed something up at the shop....good luck proving your case.

Brake lights are working fine when I depress the brake pedal.

Yeah, I'm currently in the process of pulling them out and cleaning them and making sure they are kosher.

No code reader. :frown:

I figure Goodyear will look at me and laugh... :mad: (if they were indeed actually interested in helping customers...).

I'll check back later in the night. Thanks.
-onur
Akron, OH

sounds like it could be your stop light switch in your brake pedal. on a 93 at least this sends a signal to the shift lock ecu and the abs ecu. page 8 of the wiring diagrams in my 94 fsm. there is a post a while back on getting at this switch which is attached to your brake pedal.

semlin said:
sounds like it could be your stop light switch in your brake pedal. on a 93 at least this sends a signal to the shift lock ecu and the abs ecu. page 8 of the wiring diagrams in my 94 fsm. there is a post a while back on getting at this switch which is attached to your brake pedal.

Thanks for the reply Semlin.

Just got done checking all of the ABS sensors in the axles and they all look good--cleaned them off basically.

I'll check on this switch tomorrow in the AM. I am tired after lifting the sucker up.

As an FYI, here is the current situation:

--ABS Sensors are all ok.

--Fuses are all ok.

--ABS light is off

--Disconnected battery to allow for a reset.

--Still had difficulty shifting from 'park' to the other gears. :mad: I had to use the manual shift again.

--Drove around the block and the rig shifted fine back into park. Turned it off, pulled key, and then re-inserted and started her up--no dice...still had to do a manual shift to engage gears...frustrating indeed as this seems to be an electrical/signal problem and my aptitude there is close to nil.... :doh:

Thanks again. More tomorrow.
-onur
Akron, OH

So some more on this:

Basically the ABS/Shift lock is now intermittant...I can't get it to do it when I want to so I can tool around and figure it out, but it does it when I don't need it too.... :frown:

Sort of at a loss on this one...just using a screw driver for manual override till later when I can check the brake sensor under the pedal....

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

My ABS light, Trac lights all are staying on. I have to manually release the gear shift lever to move the car. I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. I have 166,000 miles on the car and have not had this problem before. My horn is intermittent and I had to remove the fuse but I have had that done over 2 months and this problem with the ABS just happened today. I read the gas tank cover could be loose. I heard to disconnect the battery cable and I heard to go to autozone and ask them to check the system and find out what code is causing the trouble. It looks like I will probably have to live with it. Unless one of these suggestions works. I will let you know. normaxelson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom