ABS LIGHT PARKING BRAKE AND ALARM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hows it going guys. This morning I started up my 99 LC to find out brakes only worked at about the bottom inch of the pedal stroke followed by the ABS and BRAKE light on with an alarm. Saturday I got stuck in about 2 feet of mud got pulled out and drove it for 3 days with no issues everything was fine mechanically, it got really cold last night in the 30s and was super wet therefore I think its something electrical causing the issue with ABS. I checked brake fluid and brakes lines all seemed the way they have been for the past year. Any help on how to get my brakes back. Currently carless and just dropped $3200 on an engine rebuild after 445k on the OEM engine..... hoping this is not a master cylinder.

Just had the same issue. I had to replace the booster. B prepared to spend $$$ if you want new oem. Check the threads as there maybe rebuild options.

Brake booster pump is bad.

Got mine rebuilt for 300 bucks booster and accumulator...have contact info, although I am in California..I did however ship mine to the person who rebuilt it...

The pump just goes bad over time.

Literally just finished replacing the pump this morning.
The Commutator faces get worn down overtime and make bad connection, pump stops functioning.

It's a bitch because you are sort of going in blind looking for the two Allen head screws holding the pump in from the Accumulator side of the MC.
I had to move my carbon canister (99 lx470) out of the way for more space.
Once you pull the screws the pump will drop, be careful of the round key that sits between the motor and the pump. It fell out on me and went straight to the ground luckily.
Drop pump, disconnect the two wires held in place by the Phillips screws.
Installation is the reverse

Wait, you got the pump out without pulling out the entire MC assembly?

Yes 100% did NOT remove Master Cylinder
Like I said it's very tight and challenging but doable
For reasons I won't get into (user error lol) I had to remove and install three times. I can pop the pump out in about 10 minutes now
I looked at images of the pump and Master Cylinder assembly on eBay to get a feel for where the screws were located
Put my hands in and felt for the round head Allen screws.
The ratcheting tool I am attaching is a life saver
The other pictures show the damage I had to the commutator

20180302_062510.jpg

20180302_062522.jpg

Last edited:
One of the most frustrating jobs ever, but yes, it can be done without removing the MC. On the later model 100s where the charcoal canister is near the rear tire area, you have a bit more room to work with, but not too much.

My ABS/BRAKE light have occasionally stayed on at engine start w/ buzzer. This has either gone off by itself or went away if I turned the engine off and back on. Reviving this thread as the links in it are dead. I believe the part number is 67070-60010 (pump and accumulator). This appears to cross over to the 4runner and GX470. Can anyone confirm this?

edit: also finding 47070-60010 as a LX470 part number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom