ABS issues - any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyo Boyo

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys,

Searched but not found much............

When stopping, it sometimes it feels like the ABS activates. This is on dry, decent pavement and happens just as the truck comes to a halt, at low speed. Definately no skidding taking place.

Hasn't happened often, nor for a couple of weeks. Now the ABS light comes on after the truck has travelled a few hundred yards.

All brake pads were changed about 3 months ago and these problems weren't happening then. Brakes feel fine too. Brake fluid completely bled thorugh about 6 months ago and level is fine.

Any ideas?

Sensors behind the calipers? Maybe something to do with the CDL (fitted over a year ago).

Any help greatly appreciated

:cheers:

Pull the sensors (one bolt) and check them for metal shaving fouling.

You also may need to adjust your LSPV. If it is misadjusted, it can cause the ABS to kick in. I nearly rear ended someone when exactly that happened to me.

I was thinking sensors - I'll strip them down on the weekend and check it out.

LSPV was adjusted when I fitted the OME suspension about 18 months ago - not really noticed any issues at that end, but I'll check that out too.

Cheers

x2 on cleaning the sensors, after some front axle service my ABS immediately began activating at every stop. The sensors needed cleaning. No problems since.

When I had this problem I found I had smashed the ABS sensor wire that runs along the left control arm - found that when I replaced the two sensors and harness (comes as a matched set, I paid about $200 if I recall). I have heard of cracked ABS sensors (plastic kind, my original were aluminum). If the ABS sensors are not removed when the burfields come out, they can be damaged.

Fouling is the most likely problem. And then the question is, where is that metal fouling coming from?

1993 LC here.

I had this happen after my front axle service. In my case the bolt holding the sensor in wasn't tight enough, like it wasn't grounding the circuit properly. Snugged it down another half turn and all was well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom