ABS Delete Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I'm overhauling the brakes on my 80 and there's a ton of threads about mushy brakes that are difficult to bleed. I haven't gotten that far yet, as I'm still on axle stands waiting on a few more parts. However, I'm thinking ahead. One of the solutions I've seen posted is to delete the ABS.

Have an locals tried this? Thoughts? Also, any recommendations for power bleeding tools?

For reference I'm on an OME 2.5 inch lift running 33s.

Thanks!​

While I'm not a big fan of ABS on this platform, I don't believe it causes any issues related to bleeding the system. The stories I've heard about people miraculously fixing their bleeding woes by deleting the ABS seem to always include them going through every other component of the system as well. Removing the ABS system components might make it easier to bleed, but I haven't been convinced of that. My system is disabled (not deleted) due to faulty sensor readings causing the system to trigger unnecessarily. I haven't felt the need to fix it, but even so I don't see the point in removing the system. I certainly wouldn't advise removing a working system.

In my experience bleeding the brakes on an 80 is hit or miss. Sometimes it goes smoothly, sometimes it takes a lot of effort. I've personally not had luck with suction or one-way-valve devices, always having to involve a second person and a particular pedal-pumping method (pump several times, hold the pedal, crack the line, close the line, repeat, sometimes way more times than seems necessary) to get optimal results. In general it seems more finicky than other vehicles I've worked on. However, when done right, the 80 brake system works exceptionally well, even on modified trucks. With generic Centric pads and rotors (OEM equivalent) I can lock up 37's on the street. You can't ask for more than that from a brake system- except maybe for the system to prevent actually locking.

Devil's advocate view- if you don't want the ABS system on your 80, I haven't found any benefit in retaining it- IF you know how to control a vehicle without ABS when the tires lock. I grew up without ABS, and whenever it activates it annoys me. I can see the benefits of modern ABS as well, especially for people who have never experienced aggressive driving in vehicles without it. If I were completely honest, modern systems probably are safer than almost any human driver who doesn't race cars for a living. However, the 80 is hardly modern, and the dynamics of the AWD system make the brakes more predictable than a typical 2wd or part-time system of the same era.

Thanks! I'm probably over thinking this. I did bleed all of the old fluid out. It was DISGUSTING. Existing rotors measured out in spec, so I'm just going to throw on a set of Akebono pads and call it good.

Thanks for the insight!

For me ABS never seem like it worked well on an 80 series. I have been without ABS for ~7 years and have not missed it yet. Like others I have zero issue with locking up my brakes at any speed.

Have you adjusted your rear LSPV to be 100%? This makes a big difference in braking for many 80 series.