ABS Brakes and Intercooler, really necesary? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just sold my Four Runner 98 and bought a LC Series 100 1HD-T (turbo diesel-petrol)

It doesn't comes with ABS brakes nor the Intercooler.

I live in Costa Rica, where we don't really have big highways (our speed limit is 120 kms/h) but we do have lots of rains. I will mostly be riding my LC in street roads, curvy highways and dirt roads.

Is it worth it to think in installing an ABS system?

About the Intercooler, does it makes a big difference from a turbo machine without it (1hd-t) ?

I doubt installing the ABS is possible and if it were it would be easier to sell the truck and buy one with the ABS on it.

It's not easy to find manual turbo diesel trucks in CR in good shape, so this was my only option.
The question then is: how important are the ABS brakes, or can I live without them on a LC 100?

You can live w/o them. Some prefer non-ABS. Just practice your threshold braking.

People have been driving without ABS for years - that will not affect you at all. I would recommend an intercooler, they are beneficial for any turbo application.

All right then, to feel better yet with my new LC, can someone tell me which are the advantages of having non-ABS brakes?

I've never had before a truck with ABS system, that is why I can't really compare.
Cheers!

I've never owned ABS, I think its a crutch for soccer moms who drive because its faster than walking, IMO. Doesn't sound like your truck needs an intercooler to be honest, or even a turbo for that matter, but thats more personal preference.

All right then, to feel better yet with my new LC, can someone tell me which are the advantages of having non-ABS brakes?

One less thing to break.....also in muddy conditions alot of people say regular brakes are much better

If you are really good then you can theoretically brake better than the ABS system in some conditions. Most people aren't that good.

It's also a simpler, less complicated system so there is less to break and maintain.

ABS - put the brake pedal to the floor and steer...
No ABS - put the brake pedal to the floor and watch you go straight.

Pretty simple, ABS allows you to steer and keeps the wheels from locking up (pulsating them), 99% of the drivers need them...

I've always had Toyota's Hilux and Four Runner all my life and non using ABS, so I realized I shouldn't worry about it any more.

Concerning to the Intercooler, could someone recomend me a good one?

Honestly I don't rate the 100 series ABS system. I've been in a situation on ice where I'd much rather be without ABS. The system appeared to pulse all the brakes (turning a 100 series into a 3 ton toboggan) instead of just the one that needed it.

If you have a 1HD-T and no intercooler then you have an 80 series, you'll find a lot of 80 series owners in the diesel forum here.

ABS - put the brake pedal to the floor and steer...
No ABS - put the brake pedal to the floor and watch you go straight.

Pretty simple, ABS allows you to steer and keeps the wheels from locking up (pulsating them),
Nice demonstration !
99% of the drivers need them...

Correction... 99% of the north american drivers need them ! ;) :D

On slippy road or trail, ABS makes the braking lenght longer (compare to a non abs car with a "I know how to brake" driver).
You are able to modulate the breaking power, not the ECU, it only release the brake when wheel are locked and apply the brake when wheel are unlock.
AS you don't really feel the road, you just keep the foot on the brake and wait to be stopped... on/off, on/off, on/off... etc
When you feel the wheel, you can modulate to have the brake applied to the limit

It's like using a auto gearbox versus manual +clutch

That's what we call "pilotage".

Except a sticker on your hatch, you can't add an abs on your truck.

Intercooler is a most interesting part.
The volume need to be big enough for you engine, the pipe as straight as you can and the emplacement as cold as you can (not on the top of the engine :rolleyes: ) and, even if you don't change anything in the engine setup (turbo pressure and injection debit) you're gonna help your engine with colder intake.

Colder air means more oxygen in the same volume, that's why you can (and it's better) to allow more petrol to be injected)
Because you're not going to built a perfect intercooler and because the total volume of the admission system will be bigger, you can add a little bit more pressure to the turbo, adjusting the wastegate, but not to much!

You don't need ABS, waste of time and money. The intercooler is not really needed unless you are putting out 12lbs or more of boost - otherwise you will get no benefit from it. If you do up the boost and want an intercooler then install a water/air type.

Louis

i find ABS to be a complete pain in snow and mud. id love to rip the whole system out and throw it over my shoulder...

also at the age the 80 is at faults are getting quite common. i pulled the fuse out a long time ago and put it back in for the MOT. dreading the day the ABS warning light doesnt go out the next time i put the fuse back in though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom