ABS and Rear Locker not Engaging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.charlestonwatertaxi.com
Bought a 96, triple locked with factory elockers. The front and center lock works fine but the rear locker just blinks and doesn't engage. I exercised it by doing figure 8's to no avail. Also, when I purchased it the PO tried to get it to engage and when it wouldn't he said the ABS light came on. Does have pin 7 mod. I did change the front ABS sensors which didn't help. Possible the two are related? Any ideas on a solution. The PO said he checked the actuator and said is was working and that I needed to pull the axles apart and re-align it or something. Thanks in advance. This is my first 80, so I am learning.

If the center and front are engaging properly, then you can focus your attention to the rear locker assembly itself. Have you verified that the axles are truly not locked? If the axles are locked and the indicator is blinking, then you have a problem in the switch (ie., dirty contacts, bad switch). If the actuator is not engaging the locker, then you might have a problem with corrosion or similar issue in the locker motor that needs attention.

When you lay down under the truck near the rear axle, and have someone turn the switch to engage the locker, do you hear the motor or actuator at all?

When my rear locker would not lock (or at least I got a blinking light) I disconnected the connector at the rear locker sensor after first removing the rock guard, cleaned it with quick dry connector cleaner and snapped it back together. Then with all the wheels off the ground , transfer case in Lo, key to ON, I turned one rear wheel by hand about 4-6 inches and the locker locked and the dash light went solid. Maybe I just got lucky.

Before that when nothing would lock I removed the transfer case Hi/Lo switch and worked the plunger/detent many times, cleaned it also with quick dry cleaner along with the connector, put it all back together and then got the ABS light and the driveline icon to appear in the lower left of the instrument panel showing that the CDL was locked when the transfer shifter was in Lo.

Last edited:
I'd try changing your rear diff fluid also. Lockers don't like engaging in gunked up fluid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom