ABQ FJ55 Toys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ55zen

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone,
My name is chris and this will be my story of restoring at least one if not both FJ55's that followed me home. I have to admit, this is my first toyota. I have driven jeeps and volkswagens for most of my life.
I was able to acquire them here in New Mexico. both were residing in a field out in Moriarty, NM . they were previously owned by brothers that definitely had fun in them. I have been steadily acquiring parts. Most of the time i have been ordering 2 of each, just in case I decide to restore both. I do have a full set of extra doors and glass as well. will just need to find a tailgate for the 73. Here are some photos and i look forward to beginning this adventure.

20220725_180910.jpg

20220725_180925.jpg

20220725_180943.jpg

20220725_180951.jpg

20220725_181003.jpg

Welcome aboard, Chris! I look forward to follow along on your projects. You took a big bite with two. When you say restore, how far are you thinking? Bone stock like new or get them running and work on them as need be.

Welcome aboard, Chris! I look forward to follow along on your projects. You took a big bite with two. When you say restore, how far are you thinking? Bone stock like new or get them running and work on them as need be.

Thanks for the welcome! Right now, looks like the 72 will be first. like with my vw bus, i just wanted a camping bus, but that went into a full restore. My plan in my head is. Mechanical first, then body. it took 5 years to finish the bus but i want to play with these.

Thanks for the welcome! Right now, looks like the 72 will be first. like with my vw bus, i just wanted a camping bus, but that went into a full restore. My plan in my head is. Mechanical first, then body. it took 5 years to finish the bus but i want to play with these.

I think you have them in the correct order from the few photos. Anxiously awaiting further progress!

Welcome to the addiction. Keep posting we love to see others post their progress and share their adventure.
What I find interesting is both your trucks have fuel filter brackets on the frame rail for the clear glass filter. One is a 72’ and one is a 73’ ? That’s the latest so far I’ve seen with this style filter.

Chris, congratulations on some nice pigs! That’s a cool backstory of brothers owning these rigs. Do either of them run? Best wishes getting them in the road and looking forward to following your progress!

Yeah! You are going to have fun! There are a lot of things popping up out there with parts. You are starting with some nice beginnings. You got another out there with a beautiful pig and he is really a great guy too- Mark in Albuquerque, i think its spelled like that. Amongst other things he has some great beta on wipers!

I got an idea for you... One full restore like you want. One built out for the KING of THE HAMMERS.

What's better than a pig? Why, two of course! Welcome.
What's that old rock 'n roll song...."It Takes Two"? At least two...took five to build mine. Welcome aboard and good luck!
Mark @abqcruiser is a great resource in Albuquerque. Bonus is that he's also a nice guy.

It's great to have another pig in ABQ! That makes 3 with you, Cody @Cgn1976 , and myself. Let me know if I can be of any help.
I actually met the previous owner of your pig at the Upull & Pay a few years back when there was an old fj62 in the lot. I remember him telling me about them being up in Moriarty.
Good luck in madness of being a pig owner!

Hey Chris,

Welcome! Im in the NE Heights and have a feb 73. Im about 2 years in and judging by what you did with that bus, ya gots way more skills than I do. That said this group was a huge help to get me through some pig specific issues as well as bringing a pretty green wrench far enough along to do a motor swap, which was more than I bargained for when I bought it. I bet I have some good parts that could be of use to you, depending on your plans, as our model years are pretty similar. Those engine bays look real familiar! Ill PM you my number. You, Mark and I should meet up sometime for a beer! Cheers and good luck!

Hey Chris,

Welcome! Im in the NE Heights and have a feb 73. Im about 2 years in and judging by what you did with that bus, ya gots way more skills than I do. That said this group was a huge help to get me through some pig specific issues as well as bringing a pretty green wrench far enough along to do a motor swap, which was more than I bargained for when I bought it. I bet I have some good parts that could be of use to you, depending on your plans, as our model years are pretty similar. Those engine bays look real familiar! Ill PM you my number. You, Mark and I should meet up sometime for a beer! Cheers and good luck!
Thanks for the welcome, im in the ne heights as well. Off Comanche. Definitely should grab a beer sometime soon.

Chris, congratulations on some nice pigs! That’s a cool backstory of brothers owning these rigs. Do either of them run? Best wishes getting them in the road and looking forward to following your progress!
Right now they don't run. I hooked a battery to them last night and tried the 72. It tries to turn over. Least I know it's not locked up. The front parking lights came on and the wipers work. The 73 ignition is gummed up so I need to work on that. The key would go in.

Met another ABQ pig owner last night. Albert, in a fire marshal car, was checking my truck out at the golf course parking lot. Hes got a 73 he found in a horder house barn his parents bought. Pics looks pretty decent. Apparently halfway through a v8 swap when he found it. steered him to mud. We'll see If he joins up!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom