About to replace every bit of rubber and plenty more - Am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
98 LX 218k

This truck spent its entire life in Arizona. While baselining I've found that all the hoses in the engine bay are rock hard and most are probably splitting. I've begun putting together a parts list for every hose I can find. I'm also planning to order every bushing and ball joint, and diff mounts, etc. Steering rack, TB and water pump were just replaced, so I can avoid all that mess. AHC is also under control.

Is this crazy? Or perhaps, is there anything specific I should plan to skip that is prohibitively difficult (hoses to rear heater core, for instance, I don't know)? This is a learning experience for me, so I may not know what I'm getting myself into. But at the same time I have more free time than usual for the next couple months, after which I won't have convenient garage and tool access for quite a while.

This is part of a further baseline that will include things like master cylinder rebuild, starter contacts, injector service, fuel filter, most fluids, and more. My goal is to make it as close to new mechanically as possible, and then enjoy it for many years.

Any advice?

Edit: Sorry I know that's kind of an open-ended question. Here is a more practical one: How important is it to replace 20 year old hose clamps if they are not corroded?

Last edited:
If your goal is to make it mechanically new, then why not? The hoses are 20 years old at this point and are most likely due for a refresh. Most of them don't need special tools to access. As for ball joints and suspension items, check to see if they have play or not. If the control arm bushings are cracked, then replacing them will bring back a newer feel to the truck. It all comes down to how much you can spend, but if you take some time and look around at various parts vendors, parts can be had that don't break the bank.

Mine is at 225k and I've replaced pretty well every piece of rubber on the frame and I can tell you it drives like new.

I had to replace a TON of hoses, clips, and connectors on my 04 LS430 that was a SoCal car it’s entire life. We did some maintenance on it and everything we took apart that was plastic or rubber was so dry rotted it was breaking into pieces. Radiator, vacuum lines, etc... all dry rotted. We had to replace everything, it wasn’t really a choice at that point.

98 LX 218k

This truck spent its entire life in Arizona. While baselining I've found that all the hoses in the engine bay are rock hard and most are probably splitting. I've begun putting together a parts list for every hose I can find. I'm also planning to order every bushing and ball joint, and diff mounts, etc. Steering rack, TB and water pump were just replaced, so I can avoid all that mess. AHC is also under control.

Is this crazy? Or perhaps, is there anything specific I should plan to skip that is prohibitively difficult (hoses to rear heater core, for instance, I don't know)? This is a learning experience for me, so I may not know what I'm getting myself into. But at the same time I have more free time than usual for the next couple months, after which I won't have convenient garage and tool access for quite a while.

This is part of a further baseline that will include things like master cylinder rebuild, starter contacts, injector service, fuel filter, most fluids, and more. My goal is to make it as close to new mechanically as possible, and then enjoy it for many years.

Any advice?

Edit: Sorry I know that's kind of an open-ended question. Here is a more practical one: How important is it to replace 20 year old hose clamps if they are not corroded?

Old rubber isn't good, eventually it will leak, and likely at the most inopportune time. Replace the rubber as you have time. Clamps that are 20 years old are stuck in the rubber and likely aren't clamping to the best of their originally designed ability. Replace them, use OEM ones because they work for years.

Ok, so I'm on the right track. I agree it probably isn't much of a choice anyway. I'm going for comfort, reliability and long life, so I'll go ahead with the plan to do a thorough refresh.

Anyone get to the rear heater hoses aft of the firewall and at the rear core? I haven't looked yet, but thought access might be difficult.

Not crazy at all. I’ve done this before on another old vehicle I restored and it made a night and day difference in ride comfort and handling performance.

Just finished this today actually. Truck drives like new now. Took me a couple of months to get all the rubber sourced and replaced but it was definitely worth it if you plan to keep the truck.

Would you mind giving an estimate on total number of, and/or cost of parts replaced? ...or better yet, do you happen to have a list of them?

Would you mind giving an estimate on total number of, and/or cost of parts replaced? ...or better yet, do you happen to have a list of them?

+1 for this, if there's a comprehensive list of what can be replaced, (some things aren't very obvious to those who aren't familiar) with prices/sources for said parts, it'd be highly appreciated. I'd love to do this within the next couple xx,000 miles if it won't break the bank.

Lol, I'd love to help you but I don't have that kind of time. It ain't that hard to figure out.

Body and engine mounts I did not do. I'm still thinking I might, but just doing all the suspension rubber made the truck ride like new again I'm not sure it is necessary. I still might though. Changing the front diff mounts made a huge difference.

This is something I have been contemplating as well. I know 182K on a 2000 LC isn't exactly "high mileage", but I can't imagine it wouldn't make a world of difference.

I'll put together my list soon. Some specifics will change by model year, but it will be a good start for anyone considering it.
Please do. I am eagerly waiting for it

Most of the hoses (if not all) have lasted probably 20 years. So, going by that logic, replacing all hoses now is a solid investment as you shouldn't need to do it again for another 20 years. IMO, hoses fail at the most inopportune times and recovery from those situations can cost WAY more than simply replacing all the hoses in the first place.

Definitely not 'crazy'. Expensive and time consuming...but if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time and want that 'new' like performance and dependability it is a worthy endeavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom