About to pull the trigger on a Y2K 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fyton2v

SILVER Star
Threads
Is there anything obvious I should watch out for mechanically? It has about 45K miles on it.

Thanks!

with 45k it should be as good as new. Hopefully service has been done, make sure the rad fluid is red.........other then that..........get it, I love mine

rad fluid is radiator fluid? If it's red that means it's probably been serviced?

Thanks!

fyton2v,
There is a Land Cruiser buyers guide on the sleeoffroad web site. It will give you a good idea of what to look for. In general, the 100 series have been reported to be very reliable according to the owners on this forum. I believe there was a throttle problem on some of the early models; not sure if it was fixed before the 2000s.
-B-

Make sure all the body panels have the vin number stickers and if the sticker is missing then the vin will be ecteched in the metal. If either is missing, then the vehicle has been in an accident and that help with your price negotation. There should be like 10 or so stickers total. Dealers/sellers hate when you know this secret.

uzj100

Thanks for the advice. There are VIN stickers inside the fenders?

NOt inside the fenders but under the hood, on the hood, the 2 front qtr panels (you will see these when you raise the hood), all 4 doors, the tailgate and the liftgate.

just came back from testing an 80.
I tell you, the 100 drives soooo much better on the road, it's amazing what the difference is!
Man, I sure love this 100!
(but will still get an 80 anyway! :D)
Eric

you mean ya don't even have a Cruiser :eek: ::) ???

:flipoff2:

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=12617;start=msg116105#msg116105 date=1078540809]
just came back from testing an 80.
I tell you, the 100 drives soooo much better on the road, it's amazing what the difference is!
Man, I sure love this 100!
(but will still get an 80 anyway! :D)
Eric

[/quote]

have a big one... :D
E

Landpimp,

Eric's *wife* has a cruiser. She got fed up with his obsessive shopping a few months ago so she went out and bought herself a new 100 series.

He's still shopping for something... and 80 or a 100 or a 55 or something. :(

-B-

a 55?
darn, haven't looked at one of those yet!
great idea, BW!
off I go on a new hunt... yea, it never ends...
:eek:

thanks
E

edit: oh, BW, glad to read you're so familiar with/intersted in our family discussions... :D

[quote author=fyton2v link=board=2;threadid=12617;start=msg115980#msg115980 date=1078530329]
rad fluid is radiator fluid? If it's red that means it's probably been serviced?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Red radiator fluid is TOYOTA radiator fluid. It is expensive but sooooooo much better for the life of the radiator. Red fluid present means the truck has been serviced by Toyota. :cheers:

I'm looking at two right now. A silver one with tan interior and a white one with tan insides. They are both listed for $32,900 and some change, but I've talked both dealers down to $31,000. The silver one has 44something miles on it and the white one has 46something. I'm waiting to see which one will sell it to me for $30K.

[quote author=fyton2v link=board=2;threadid=12617;start=msg116216#msg116216 date=1078562680]
I'm looking at two right now. A silver one with tan interior and a white one with tan insides. They are both listed for $32,900 and some change, but I've talked both dealers down to $31,000. The silver one has 44something miles on it and the white one has 46something. I'm waiting to see which one will sell it to me for $30K.
[/quote]

That sounds good. I'm looking at a 2000 with 59K miles (white) loaded and they are asking $31,900. Figure it's worth $27,000. Problem I find with trading on a newer LC is that I've spent $2000+ in the last year going through my 95 with 135K miles on it. Even though you are never done working on them and spending money, I figure the 2000 would need all new fluids, maybe brake pads, etc. to the tune of several hundred $$$. Where my 95 is good to go for another year before spending a few more hundred.

[quote author=Garth1 link=board=2;threadid=12617;start=msg116175#msg116175 date=1078551913]
Red radiator fluid is TOYOTA radiator fluid. It is expensive but sooooooo much better for the life of the radiator. Red fluid present means the truck has been serviced by Toyota. :cheers:
[/quote]

or it means it's been serviced by me -- ;)

eh, get this, this 80 I just looked at, the owner took it to a "specialized Toyota" independent mech for a fluids change. Car has now green coolant in. So I ask the owner, he says the mech told him that if the coolant is red, it means it has never been serviced since new... :p
E

fyton,
when I was shopping for a 100, a few months back, I checked several 99s and 2000s. What I found out is that the dealers normally priced them 30% at least over private party realistic sales. In a matter of minutes I was able to get them down by 15% and then it got harder but I could still do it some. This rule of thumb seemed to hold very well with several dealers.
FWIW
E

dealers usally have 4-5k of profit at retail on used 100s. They gotta make a profit, which I feel $1500 is fair. But the newer it is on the lot the less chance you got at getting em down(to their bottom $)

I picked up(last month) my 2000 with 75k, new tires, new brakes for $25k which was wholesale for that rig, dealer made 1k, then spent $200 on a new CD player.

If someone is Seattle is looking, Burian(sp) Honda has a Black 98 with 50k, rear diff lock, black, had it at 22k........been sitting for at least 3 months, prolly someone could get a real deal on it. Had a clean car fax, new starter and some other stuff..........but I keep wondering whats wrong with it.....been sitting way to long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom