About to paint but I have a dilemma... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 88 FJ62 that I’ve had in storage for 8+ years. Since I’m now working from home like most of us I have spent the last couple months getting my truck back in order. Fortunately for me I live in an area where there are some great shops and I happen to have a neighbor that does excellent paint work. Anyway, I visited his shop last week to get a quote for a paint job, as my truck has some oxidized areas and a new paint job is a good idea. My dilemma is this. I have a unique sticker package and I’m wondering if anyone here has seen this or knows of people who recreate stickers for cars? I haven’t looked extensively (at all) but from my search, my sticker package isn’t coming up. Honestly I think it’s kinda ugly but I also think I’d miss it when I get the new paint job. I’m about to book my spot for the paint but the good news is his earliest available slot is 1/21 (good for him)!!!
Ok here is a picture:
F7ADF540-C30F-40BB-B6EA-7877A753ED6F.jpeg

I've been looking into OEM style sticker packages for awhile now and I haven't seen one like this yet. Before you paint, I'd take high quality photos and send them to a vinyl/wrap shop to see if they could easily replicate it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I also should have noted I am the 2nd owner of my truck and the PO was the dealer mechanic where it was purchased from. I did have one conversation with someone who I now forget which kind of makes sense. He said it might be a sticker package from the local dealer or a local shop that did a “graphics package” of some sort. The paint shop I got the quote from said the same thing about the pictures and I’ll definitely be doing that.

Although I cannot comment on the sticker, grats on the truck progress. New paint is well deserved for such a vehicle.

Last edited:
99% sure US cruisers did not come with Toyota installed graphics. Especially this year range. Some overseas ones did. That is most likely a dealer/aftermarket install. Unless you love them, getting them recreated is not really worth it IMOP.

99% sure US cruisers did not come with Toyota installed graphics. Especially this year range. Some overseas ones did. That is most likely a dealer/aftermarket install. Unless you love them, getting them recreated is not really worth it IMOP.
Thanks, while I was hoping they were still available I suspect you‘re correct about it being a dealer installed option or something. I’ll try what @TheElegantFox suggested and talk to someone who does vinyl wraps. If it’s out of control to replicate, I’ll just say good bye to them...

Hey, I've been looking for some good stripes as well, although I've never seen something that you have. Your sweet stripes are one of a kind and I'm not sure it would be easy to recreate those without bringing the whole car to the designer.

Anyway, I've been following Autoreligion.co for some time and I'm trying to gauge the quality of their stripes for FJ6X series. Take a look and perhaps we can see if they have a way to create other custom designs or colors.

1593101369456.png

Link to thread?

Man. That paint just looks like it need to be polished and buffed. Original paint is always a better choice for a storied vehicle. Especially with the stripes.

If it’s just the hood and roof, paint that and polish the rest.

That’s my .02.

I almost always dismiss Cruisers for sale that have been painted because unless you spend a LOT of money on prep, you are likely covering up issues that will pop up under that new paint.

Your truck. Your call.

Polish it first and see

Toyota didn't ship cruisers to the USA with stickers on them. It's my opinion that stickers detract from the classic look. Kinda like aftermarket side mirrors that don't fit quite right

Two classic looks: 1) North American Classic and 2) Rest of World Classic. Both classics.

Let's remember that U.S. only has bought 308K out of 10 Million cruisers sold. We've been deprived.

Hey, I've been looking for some good stripes as well, although I've never seen something that you have. Your sweet stripes are one of a kind and I'm not sure it would be easy to recreate those without bringing the whole car to the designer.

Anyway, I've been following Autoreligion.co for some time and I'm trying to gauge the quality of their stripes for FJ6X series. Take a look and perhaps we can see if they have a way to create other custom designs or colors.

View attachment 2351173
Yeah I’ll check that site out. I recently saw a truck with the stickers in the picture you posted at a LandCruiser shop pretty close to me. It was a diesel and the steering wheel was on the wrong side. (Kidding of course, about the steering wheel placement.) Thanks

Man. That paint just looks like it need to be polished and buffed. Original paint is always a better choice for a storied vehicle. Especially with the stripes.

If it’s just the hood and roof, paint that and polish the rest.

That’s my .02.

I almost always dismiss Cruisers for sale that have been painted because unless you spend a LOT of money on prep, you are likely covering up issues that will pop up under that new paint.

Your truck. Your call.

Polish it first and see
[/QUOTE
Oh that definitely crossed my mind. I’m no pro but one of my hobbies is detailing our autos. I do believe a 2 stage paint correction (compound & polish) would be a huge improvement and completely fine for most of the truck. You’re also correct I’m most concerned with the hood & roof. On the paint job, it would include proper prep work. The shop routinely does paint jobs that cost way more than my truck is worth and I was kinda surprised he was open to putting me on his calendar, albeit in 2021... Being a neighbor I think he was kinda stuck but what are neighbors for right?!? To clarify I won’t be getting a “show paint job” (with the associated price tag) by any means but also wanted to make sure it was an actual improvement both visually and underneath. I love this truck but also want to use this thing again!

Last edited:
Polish polish polish. You will be shocked what will come back on these Toyota single stage jobs.

On my 60 I ended up painting the hood and the roof because it was through the paint but polish made the rest pop amazingly after 35 years of abuse

Plus those stripes are so legit.
This is the one I’m saving now but it’s going to get a new roof paint next week

58AE0F19-89ED-4190-96F5-3AD83F039128.jpeg

60B32951-D1DA-45D1-B1BB-BFBEAC9D32B1.jpeg

Polish polish polish. You will be shocked what will come back on these Toyota single stage jobs.

On my 60 I ended up painting the hood and the roof because it was through the paint but polish made the rest pop amazingly after 35 years of abuse

Plus those stripes are so legit.
This is the one I’m saving now but it’s going to get a new roof paint next week

View attachment 2351375

View attachment 2351376
I have some time so yeah I’ll get out the DA polisher and see what kind of resultS I can get. Can’t hurt. And if I could get away with painting the roof and the hood that would be great!

Wow I‘ve definitely never seen stickers like yours! Even the hood got some action!!! Why do I feel like there‘s a ski boat somewhere missing it’s matching tow vehicle?
Thanks for sharing that‘s awesome!

Oh damn those are paint? That had to cost some money, you have to keep those. Mine are definitely just stickers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom