Abandoned 84 FJ60 gets some love, and a 4bt! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Falken At3w. Awesome tire, quite and easy to maintain. Mud terrains are only nice until they are 50 percent worn.

Last edited:
Ran K02s on my 60 and falken at3ws on my 4runner/tacoma...liked them both equally. Been great 20k+ miles.

Got a few days off, taking the kid fishing a few different places...
20220420_162341.jpg

20220420_162726.jpg

20220420_162726.jpg

I just passed through yer neck of the woods on my way to Montana. Was thinking about you all through TN. Very cool to see you putting this thing to use as intended! I bet your kid loves it!

Agreed! I was also thinking that that looks like a very big improvement over being parked at some intersection for a few years waiting to be taken care of properly. Congrats on getting your rig back into service, and enjoy the fishing trip!
Kathryn and Kaylee, who is starting to think about some road trips of her own

So the guy selling me my Cummins swap parts got all the stuff out of his 62 this weekend, and sent me a photo of the drivetrain.
In this photo I noticed a vacuum shifter on the transfer case, which my 60 case does not have.
Should I try to convert the 62 case to manual shift, or just use my 60 case? Will the same adapter fit both? Is one case better than the other?
I can save some time and money using my old 60 case if it will bolt up, but I don't know enough to know what can swap around, and searching doesn't get me solid answers as far as compatibility, other than seeing that the Advance Adapters site offers the same adapter for an nv4500 to be used with any cruiser split case from 81-90.
Am I right to think I can just unbolt his 62 case and slap my 60 case on and roll? Will the 60 case hold up to the power and torque of a 4bt?
The time is drawing near, and I'll be going to pick this stuff up in about 3 weeks, and the swap will begin immediately when I get home with the stuff.

Thanks for any advice or information you guys may have! I'm sure this won't be the only difficulty moving this drivetrain from a 62 to a 60, but it is the first issue I've noticed.

received_669240340835364.jpeg

20220504_151422.jpg

So the guy selling me my Cummins swap parts got all the stuff out of his 62 this weekend, and sent me a photo of the drivetrain.
In this photo I noticed a vacuum shifter on the transfer case, which my 60 case does not have.
Should I try to convert the 62 case to manual shift, or just use my 60 case? Will the same adapter fit both? Is one case better than the other?
I can save some time and money using my old 60 case if it will bolt up, but I don't know enough to know what can swap around, and searching doesn't get me solid answers as far as compatibility, other than seeing that the Advance Adapters site offers the same adapter for an nv4500 to be used with any cruiser split case from 81-90.
Am I right to think I can just unbolt his 62 case and slap my 60 case on and roll? Will the 60 case hold up to the power and torque of a 4bt?
The time is drawing near, and I'll be going to pick this stuff up in about 3 weeks, and the swap will begin immediately when I get home with the stuff.

Thanks for any advice or information you guys may have! I'm sure this won't be the only difficulty moving this drivetrain from a 62 to a 60, but it is the first issue I've noticed.

View attachment 3003145

View attachment 3003144
I’m not certain about which models are interchangeable with the Cummings swap. This is @cruisermatt wheelhouse. He’s got the vortec swap down to a science and I think he’ll know more about the transfercase than most of us. I’m sure he could point you in the right direction.

Unbolt the 62 case and install your 60 case and rebuild it. Or convert the 62 case to manual shift, there are threads on it.
The 62 case will have roller bearings instead of bushings for the output gears and a bigger idler shaft then your 1984 34mm case, but either case is fine really. Either way highly highly recommend a long spline input gear. I can sell you one and a rebuild kit or Cruiser Outfitters, Valley Hybrids can as well.

Other then the shifter no other issues with 60/62 compatibility.

Strength, it’ll be fine just don’t drive stupid. You will have way more issues with axles/diffs if you are really wheeling it but for just putting around you’ll be fine.

Oh and the 62 your drivetrain came from is going to me for a 5.3 swap :)

Yesterday most of my suspension stuff showed up. I've got everything except 2 leaf packs. I hope the other springs show up today! If they do, I'll start working on that this weekend. If not, I'll have to call on Monday and see if I can figure out why.
I also ordered some wheel spacers and a driver door window regulator, since the window makes it 2" from the top and stops.
I hope to have the lift installed before I go pick up my new drivetrain in a couple of weeks.
Once I have the mechanical stuff sorted and dependable, I'll start on the interior, and eventually work on getting lockers and upgraded axle shafts.
Does anybody make Chromoly rear shafts for the semi-float axles? Are upgraded shafts and birfs necessary on an fj60 with 35's and a diesel swap?
Can I put skinny 35's on the stock wheels?
I do plan to wheel this thing, but will be pretty easy on the throttle input. I am mindful of how things get broken.

20220514_110356.jpg

20220513_175031.jpg

I haven't done any work on this thing in a few weeks, but have driven it quite a bit and even taken a few day trips over a few hundred miles. I LOVE driving this car!
I did manage to pick up the stuff for my Cummins swap this weekend, though!
I am so excited to get started on this thing. I'm waiting on a few small parts, and I'll start fabbing some engine side motor mount brackets tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a bay at my friends shop in the next week or two and get started!

20220528_125421.jpg

Last edited:
Last night at work, I got a couple of hours to screw around, so I set to work making some engine side motor mounts out of some scrap plate I found. They turned out kinda ugly, but seem plenty strong and will work with the Anchor fluid mounts I bought.
Today before work I went for a short drive in the Cruiser to keep the fluids fresh. Man, that 2F is a sweet, smooth engine! Too bad it's so thirsty! I'd happily keep right on chugging with it.

20220603_034157.jpg

Today I finally got a full day off work for a dentist appointment, and when it was over, I dove into intaalling the OME 3.5-4" suspension I've been sitting on for a few weeks. This was a big job, which took me about 6 hours with hand tools and jack stands. I am beat, but at least it's done.
I got pretty lucky that this 40 year old car with 400k miles isnt rusty, even the bolts all came out with a reasonable amount of effort. I did have to use a 2 lb drilling hammer and some penetrating oil to remove the rear frame side leaf spring bolts, but even those came out easier than most I've seen.
I havent done much of a test drive more than just arouns the yard, but it already seems to soak up bumps better than the old springs did. Over all, I'm very happy! Trying to decide now whether to get new tires this week, or wait until after the Cummins swap is done. I'll probably get 33x12.50 Cooper Discoverer STT. I've had several set of those on Jeeps and other rigs, and have loved them. I kinda want to try 35's, to get my highway RPM down a bit with the Cummins and NV4500, but we'll see what I can actually do. I saw a guy on Reddit with this loft and 35x12.5 on stock wheels, but I think he had wheel spacers.
The wheels spacers I have don't have a large enough center hole to accommodate my front hubs.....
20220607_183128.jpg
20220607_183116.jpg
20220607_183116.jpg

20220607_183202.jpg
20220607_183221.jpg
20220607_105034.jpg

Looking better and better every post

Looking better and better every post
Thank you! I know progress is slow, but I really do want to make this thing nice again, and put the time and effort and research into doing everything as right as I can. This build is to replace my 2017 Tacoma, and as such, it needs to be reliable, comfortable, capable, and somewhat economical.
I have about $10k in it so far, including every single part I will need to build it, except for paint.
I plan to have the tires mounted next week, I guess I'll be going with BFG KM3's in a 33x10.5x15 on the stock wheels, because no tire shops are willing to try the 33x12.5 or the 35x12.5 on the stock wheels for me, and I really don't want to change the wheels.
So that puts my ideal highway cruising speed squarely at 65mph around 1800-1900 rpm, and 2200-2300 around 75 mph, which should be ok, but mileage will be affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom