'Abandoned' 1969 TLC Baja rig. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates @MojaveGhost ?

Looks like you have not been around for a while...
Been busy! Had quite a solo adventure getting it back from Baja, great trip, character building to say the least. Mechanically it’s perfect but there’s a fuel delivery issue resulting in the V8 not getting enough fuel, so there was a lot of stalling, timing momentum to make it up hills, burnt out a fuel pump in the middle of nowhere, slept on the side of the highway, etc etc.

Gearing is super short so driving 60 at 4K rpm with a SBC was interesting. It desperately needs 34/35s on it.

Decent amount of body work needed and driveshafts need new seals. Mechanically it’s great, only had 1200 miles on the drivetrain since it left TLC, but baja has taken its toll on certain things.

Been meaning to do a recap post and upload pics. I’ll post some stuff up this week I think.

Glad to hear you are still around!
Few pics from the drive back from Mulegé to Temecula when I brought it back in July as well as some engine/interior shots. It has a solar panel setup and connection built into the fender to keep the batteries charged. Under the sleeping platform there’s an inverter, marine UHF radio (6ft antenna up on the rack), and a switchboard which controls the interior lights among other things.

A hinged hatch cover was fabricated to replace the tailgate window, which in definitely going to replace.

Been in storage since I got it, had a few other projects I had to clear out of the way first. Plan is to to drop in a holly sniper in-tank pump to replace the inline setup, as well as get the MEFI4 reprogrammed first. It’s idling at 1200 currently.

There’s a battery drain somewhere, and a few ghost switches I need to trace back.

Once it’s running reliably I can feel comfortable chipping away at other stuff before worrying about aesthetics.

7883AD40-298B-4440-9671-DBE53FAB0A35.jpeg

0EF17B17-263A-4031-98D4-7BC2B4C952E1.jpeg

98C8A338-AADC-4BDC-85A3-5A7209BBECFF.jpeg

726ECD37-B520-4A49-B6A1-C0ACFFF6C610.jpeg

F3B3D72B-9C28-465C-A274-DBAFBFD3E957.jpeg

It’s def set up right for baja. Just needs “tightening up” lol. I’m debating on a rust free body swap from a guy nearby.
Well, small update, I pulled the trigger on buying a separate donor project for a couple reasons: first, it has a primer prepped rust free body, and mine has plenty of holes/bondo from baja beach driving. It has an original intact dash pad, clean, oversized aftermarket gas tank, a rear seat (mine came without one), and the heavy duty trailer it’s on comes with it. Got a decent deal on it. Only bummer is no tailgate guts but does have the rear glass. It’s titled and has a full Chevy drivetrain. Just need to find a decent shop in SoCal to do the body swap…

Last edited:
Well, small update, I pulled the trigger on buying a separate donor project for a couple reasons: first, it has a primer prepped rust free body, and mine has plenty of holes/bondo from baja beach driving. It has an original intact dash pad, clean, oversized aftermarket gas tank, a rear seat (mine came without one), and the heavy duty trailer it’s on comes with it. All for 7k. Only bummer is no tailgate guts but does have the rear glass. It’s titled and has a full Chevy drivetrain. Just need to find a decent shop in SoCal to do the body swap…
Wow, sounds like you scored!!!
Think you sill be able to clean up the original body?
What year is the project Pig?

Wow, sounds like you scored!!!
Think you sill be able to clean up the original body?
What year is the project Pig?
The original is def salvageable, but it’s gonna be way more work than I want to bother with. Fenders, rockers, rear quarters, roof, tailgate have rust. Ironically the underbelly is nice and floorboards are perfect. The body swap will come out cheaper in the long run and quicker.

Forgot to mention that the project pig also has the factory ac unit so I’ll be swapping the retro air unit for that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom