Aargh 3b won't start... some kind of cut off?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there some kind of cut off switch anywhere in a 3b that won't let it start if you glow too long or something? I just went to start my truck, glowed til the light turned off and then nothing but clicks. This has happened before and it always seemed to be if I held down the key to glow for a little too long. Is this some kind of cut off switch, or does this bug lie elsewhere?

This is really annoying because I was just about to drive down to the dealer to get a new primer pump!!! Whenever this has happened before I've waited a bit and it's worked... so far nothing this time.

bad ground

bad ground? Sorry I'm no electrical genius... bad ground to/for what...? Remember this truck is my daily driver and it very rarely ever does this...

check all the major contacts too and from the bateires and Starter

Make sure the EDIC is working or EDIC relay. If this is a BJ60 the EDIC relay is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side. If it's clicking away (or not) the truck won't start. Usually it gets a little rusty around there.
GG

My bet is the starter contacts! Pull the starter out, pull off the solenoid cover and see how the contacts look. Copper "L" shaped pieces about 1/8" thick with legs about 3/4" long. They won't be all shiny but they should be reasonably evenly worn and not have any copper "balls" on them. I'll bet you replace those and it'll start like a dream. I carry a spare set for my cross country travels.

Hi. Would you have a part number for those 3B starter contacts? Are they still available from the dealer? I'd like to get a spare set too. Thanks!;)

My bet is the starter contacts! Pull the starter out, pull off the solenoid cover and see how the contacts look. Copper "L" shaped pieces about 1/8" thick with legs about 3/4" long. They won't be all shiny but they should be reasonably evenly worn and not have any copper "balls" on them. I'll bet you replace those and it'll start like a dream. I carry a spare set for my cross country travels.

Seconded. Any Auto electric place will have them. Most won't know they do.

The problem is more pronounced after a long glow cycle because your volts are down a bit and the solenoid doesn't hit as hard.

clicks eh? missed that part. hmm. yup bad starters are usually apparent by clicks. Sorry about being vague in the last post, but 9 times out of ten, there will be a bad ground on one of the major connections. Its the easiest place to check, and definitely the most overlooked. Doesn't require you to be a genius, just willing to get a little dirty.
If you don't have one already buy an FSM. They are necessary if you plan on doing work yourself.
Give the starter a good tap tap tap with a hammer. If she fires up no problem voila the starter be toast. If not though, it doesn't mean the starter isn't pooched. You can also remove starter/solenoid from vehicle and get it bench tested. Most good auto shops/electrical rebuild shops can test this for you mind you a bit intensive.

Thanks, I should have looked at the sticky! :whoops:

Check the Starter Relay (usually a square box about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2") still has its spade connection still attached. I had that loosened when the diaphragm in the fuel pump was replaced and it fell off on the way to work. At 6p.m. and pitch black I got a click and nothing else ...

Right after I posted the last message in this thread I went outside and turned the key. It cranked over but not expecting it to work I'd forgotten to glow, and it cranked for like 5-8 seconds before I stopped, glowed and started properly... sure didn't seem to be a voltage problem.

I've had sticky starters before, once I went months just hitting it with bits of wood and hammers to make it work... this doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm leaning towards the relay suggestion, as the starter is far from weak and it's very rare and intermitent. I'll have a play in a bit.

I've had sticky starters before, once I went months just hitting it with bits of wood and hammers to make it work... this doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm leaning towards the relay suggestion, as the starter is far from weak and it's very rare and intermitent. I'll have a play in a bit.

This is the classic way that the starters begin to fail. It isn't an "all of a sudden" failure but rather a slow progressively worsening of the way it starts. When it works it works great, when it doesn't work....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom