AA Ron's FJ80 refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Holy cow Airon that’s a refresh

I would like to DONATE a KUSTOM ToyotaMatt ROCKER of your choice brother PM me please , i have quite the array of TOP SHELF Cereal Box Prizes and your a Winner and so is that sweet 80

Can these help ? :cool:

and a sh#T load more coins are always swag in my world

i love the 3FE , great power plant ........!

Oh my gosh! Yes!
I'll PM you.

So this thing may not run but it's going to look NICE on the inside! :rofl:

I spent this evening putting in some sweat equity into the interior that I pulled out to clean. It's still not perfect due to the use over time, but this thing is cleaning up nicely. That carpet I thought I was going to have to pressure wash, came out nicely with a little(a lot) elbow grease and this Zep carpet cleaning stuff. So now everything is drying until I get everything else out of the landcruiser and cleaned. Of course then comes the sound deadening stuff before throwing it all back in.

Not sure if the pictures do it justice, but they were pretty dirty, especially the main rear floor carpet that had like oil or something similar towards the very rear.
1614145851064.png

1614145905429.png

1614146016947.png

1614146233507.png

I got this carpet piece out of a 96 oak color interior but the color will match close enough I think, and it cleaned up nicely too.
1614146042146.png

The one door card I took out cleaned up nicely too. I had to do a small corner repair where the vinyl was coming off, but a little adhesive fixed that right up. The rest of the plastic pieces came out as good as to be expected given it's age and use. That being said I think it'll all go back together nicely once it's all cleaned up.
1614146421701.png

1614146443452.png

The side steps were also from the 96 Oak color interior because mine didn't have them and it's another thing that I think won't look too out of place either.
1614146458645.png

1614146532792.png

Then here's a second row seat I pulled from the 96 also that is in a lot better shape than my current one. I'm not so concerned about them being the correct year 2nd row so much as I am the condition and the need to recover the seats which would be a hefty cost. So I cleaned these up and they'll go in eventually as well.
1614146555403.png

I was able to take out the rest of the interior so that I can bring it home to clean. Once again, the carpet is going to need a lot of work, but I'm confident it will clean up pretty well. Much of the bubbling tar insulation stuff was just cracking off from being so brittle, dirty, and dry. So there's a lot to clean up now this week between all the interior parts.

I think the next step will be to apply the sound deadening insulation stuff. Still haven't figured out which product to use yet, any suggestions? Also do I need to remove the rest of the tar insulation stuff before applying, or just go right over it? After that will come the real work where I will need to decide what to do with the engine.

My initial direction was to rebuild a 3FE or find another one and reseal it and just plug and play and throw it back in and be done. But I've gotten a lot of "persuasion" if you will, not to do that, and that it will be more expensive than it's worth, and I will not be happy with it. So now I may need to do a lot more research on if I do swap, then what do I swap it with.

1614537505331.png

1614537719211.png

Looking good. Thats how you get started on the cleaning.

For the tar/rubber you can put dry ice on it and just pop it with a hammer to get it to come off. I left mine and didn't cover over it with more, i the sound deadener stuff is more about damping the vibration so i just but some on areas that didn't have it and didn't go too crazy. I would recommend a good insulation as it will reward you in summer and winter. But that just goes under the carpet and isn't anything special. Same stuff you already have on the back side of the carpet just more.

For cleaning the plastic parts found that small circles with a green pad and simple green or purple power cleans it it very nice. Just takes time.

I am in the same situation as you. I have two bell housing bolts left to remove then I'll have the motor out. One out I can see how much damage a badly spun bearing did.

Cruisermatt does have a 3fe in Orlando. It is hard to know to do the LS swap or rebuild the 3fe.

I'll be watching on your build closely to see how it's going. Your interior is off to a good start.

By the way. The 3fe seems like it has so many failure points due to hoses, vac lines any many other thing. I think the motor pull is harder then I expected!

16145473702937679537611571028798.jpg

16145474102727841135644273329109.jpg

Great progress Aaron! I’m looking forward to your engine plans, that’s gotta be a little daunting but we have faith in you!

Looking good. Thats how you get started on the cleaning.

For the tar/rubber you can put dry ice on it and just pop it with a hammer to get it to come off. I left mine and didn't cover over it with more, i the sound deadener stuff is more about damping the vibration so i just but some on areas that didn't have it and didn't go too crazy. I would recommend a good insulation as it will reward you in summer and winter. But that just goes under the carpet and isn't anything special. Same stuff you already have on the back side of the carpet just more.

For cleaning the plastic parts found that small circles with a green pad and simple green or purple power cleans it it very nice. Just takes time.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to buy me some of that simple green and/or purple power because I've heard good things about them.

Even though it's all just cosmetic it's at least motivating me to continue and I hope that will turn into some sort of plan for the motor.

I am in the same situation as you. I have two bell housing bolts left to remove then I'll have the motor out. One out I can see how much damage a badly spun bearing did.

Cruisermatt does have a 3fe in Orlando. It is hard to know to do the LS swap or rebuild the 3fe.

I'll be watching on your build closely to see how it's going. Your interior is off to a good start.

By the way. The 3fe seems like it has so many failure points due to hoses, vac lines any many other thing. I think the motor pull is harder then I expected!

View attachment 2599341

View attachment 2599342
Wow awesome I will probably be in that same boat relatively soon. Nice job pulling that motor Good luck with whatever your next plans are. Maybe I should be watching your thread instead lol.

Great progress Aaron! I’m looking forward to your engine plans, that’s gotta be a little daunting but we have faith in you!
Thank you and yes it is daunting but I'm hoping cleaning and fixing up the interior will keep me motivated enough to come up with a good plan going forward.

Whether or not you'll be satisfied with a 3FE depends on who you are and how you drive I guess. They get the job done for lots of people and are dead reliable. The gearing and trans are a lot of what let it down I think.

Dynamat for sound proofing/deadening.

Out of curiosity what is mileage ? Did you run Carfax or Toyota service history? I always like knowing the past life of my vehicles, just adds to the fun and story.

Dynamat for sound proofing/deadening.

Out of curiosity what is mileage ? Did you run Carfax or Toyota service history? I always like knowing the past life of my vehicles, just adds to the fun and story.
I believe it has 217k on the odometer. No I didn't run carfax or service history. I thought you have to pay for carfax, and how would one go about getting toyota service history?

Finished most of the kill mat insulation. From what I can tell it makes a difference. With just the little I've done. I still have the heat insulating noico stuff I'll put where the carpet matt was taken off from underneath.

PXL_20210314_015942651.jpg

Watching you process. That thing is going to clean up nicely. Good job so far. I love my 3FE two tone brown truck. If it is any help, I just found a rusted out truck to pull parts from for my restoration. I was able to get interior and engine bay things I needed and still was able to sell the rusty truck for a profit. Look up north and you will find them cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom