AA and a new 4L60E (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am just about to start doing my conversion to a 5.3L engine and have heard conflicting information on the output shaft of the auto trans...
I have a new 4L60E transmission (6 bolt pattern on the back side - "removeable bellhousing") that will be mated to a Cruiser transfer case (was mated to a cruiser 4 speed manual trans) with an Advance Adapters kit. I heard that the 2WD version is desireable - which is what I have.
I heard that if I have the 2WD version, then I don't have to change output shaft.
I also heard that I WILL have to change output shaft with the AA conversion.
(I got this info on 2 different occasions from AA).

Which is correct?
The last thing I want to do is let some yahoo mechanic tear the new transmission apart to change the shaft, then not torque the fasteners correctly or something stupid like that.

Any accurate info is appreciated...

Thanks
P.S. I'll be asking the same on the Vortecruisers site as well.

check your trans,

4l60e is electric controlled 700r4, 4 bolt rear mount
4l80e is electric " " Th400 with OD, 6 bolt rear mount

BTW, why run cruiser case? same to less run a np205 with offset rear output,
or doubler with 205.

AA is nuttn but trouble for me, so i wouldnt recommend. personal experience

Or 203 GRB to cruiser doubler.

Is it a spline count issue, or a length issue? If the 2wd output is too long, I suppose you could run a spacer, but you would increase driveline length. If it's a spline count issue, then you would need to run a different output shaft unless there is some work-around solution.

I had just went through this same issue with the Chicks Jeep. AA offers two adapters a long and a short depending on which adaptor you get depends on the output shaft.

BTW HI^C the 4l60e early versions are the 4 bolt similiar to the th350 and 700r4 in the mid 90's they were changed to the 6 bolt tail. a good sorce for this info is
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/4l60e.htm

check your trans,

4l60e is electric controlled 700r4, 4 bolt rear mount
4l80e is electric " " Th400 with OD, 6 bolt rear mount

BTW, why run cruiser case? same to less run a np205 with offset rear output,
or doubler with 205.

My 4L60E has a 6 bolt pattern on the rear (GM did that when they changed the case - they are identified by the "removeable bellhousing" relationship. Before the change, they had a 4 bolt pattern. I have to buy 2 parts from AA: One to change the bolt pattern, then one to convert to the toyota trans.

NP205 with an offset - not sure I want to do that because this cruiser will see the highway quite a bit (I have another cruiser for the trail) . The combination of an extrmely short drive shaft and an offset is not something I think I should consider (unless I'm not understanding you - does the NP205 have the rear output in the center or offset to the side?).

Or 203 GRB to cruiser doubler
Please explain.
I know that the AA kit comes with the correct spline count, it might be a speed sensor thing length issue.

Thanks for the info / stuff that I haven't considered yet...

I looked into doing a 700R4 into cruiser transfer case. i even bought the part from TJDIV. While I was waiting, I got some info about using the 203 gear reduction box off of the 700R4 and using AA's adpter (way cheaper through parts mike parts) to go from the 203 to the cruiser x-fer. When UPS lost the parts, I had the opportunity to change my mind. As soon as they pay up, I'm ordering the 203/toy adapter.

Then I will have the low 1st of the 700R4, overdrive and an extra 2:1 reduction gear. I will need to change the output shaft on my 700, but my donor is far from new anyway. I don't know how your trans will fit on the NP203.

I am using a 4l60e with the 6 bolt in the back and It was 2 wheel drive, I fab'd a new tailcone usind AA adapter stuff and the 4l60e tailcone (cut about 4 inches off of it) I kept the length of the output shaft stock so I could keep the stock VSS, I ended up 3 inches longer than the standard AA kit set up which made the front driveshaft clearance sweet without having to even trim the tranny pan, I haven't installed it yet, but I am hoping there is room to move the whole drivetrain (I am using a 2004 5.3 out of a silverado) 3 inches forward. I am using an electric fan. I already have driveshafts that were in a 40 with a 305 and a 700r4 so I hope it is possible to mount the engine further up 3 inches and salvage them. time will tell, as it is the rear drive shaft is so short I don't want to go any shorter. I wish I could see some pictures of an installed 5.3 vortec and 4l60e to see how much room there is between the radiator and the engine, or if someone could measure and let me know that would be cool. -Matt

damn, I need to remember to start looking at thread dates!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom