A442F vs. A343F (yes, again) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just picked up a stock 1994 with the A442F trans, i thought it was a bit slower and lower rpm than my 1997 with 37s. However I did Regear the 1997 with 4.88 and a fresh engine rebuild so I don't know if that plays a role.
I was trying to find out what the differences are between the 442 and 343 but haven't seen any real information suggesting the 442 bus tranny is better.

A442f has lower first gear then the 343

Does anyone know if they can be swapped if either one goes bad?
1994 into the 1997 and vise versa.

I thought I read the 442 has 4 solenoids and the 343 has 3. Wouldn't think they could be easily swapped without a lot of wiring diagram and splice work.

Here's the proof.

1999 Toyota Coaster Bus. 1HZ/A442E (2wd version).

If the A343 was better, why didn't they use it here in 1999, when they were using it in Land Cruisers in 1995?
Because the 442 is too truck like for the US luxury vehicle market. They needed something that was quieter and shifted softer......Hence the 343.

BF690227_2ff1a6.jpg
BF690227_369447.jpg
BF690227_d6b9de.jpg

Well this is A442E not A442F :giggle:

I believe the A442E in the Coaster was mated to a 2wd layout, while the A442F was obviously used in a 4wd platform. They are otherwise nearly identical.

so which transmission do i have if i have a 1997 LC? 442 or 343?

1995-1997 From Slee ..
  • Automatic transmission changes to the A343F. Some 95’s were produced with the A442F. The transmission type is printed on the label on the driver door.

It appears that the A343F & A442F are bolt up replaceable .. Don't think the bolt patterns would change .. Mounting points are the bigger question ..

1995-1997 From Slee ..
  • Automatic transmission changes to the A343F. Some 95’s were produced with the A442F. The transmission type is printed on the label on the driver door.

It appears that the A343F & A442F are bolt up replaceable .. Don't think the bolt patterns would change .. Mounting points are the bigger question ..
Some 1995 models don't have OBDII, so those don't run the same computer or wiring harnesses as the '96+. Essentially, some 95's are built the same as 94 and older, and some 95's are built with the newer specs. You can't just drop in a computer-controlled transmission into a vehicle that doesn't have the computer hardware, harnesses, etc. to talk to it, or vice-versa.

Some 1995 models don't have OBDII, so those don't run the same computer or wiring harnesses as the '96+. Essentially, some 95's are built the same as 94 and older, and some 95's are built with the newer specs. You can't just drop in a computer-controlled transmission into a vehicle that doesn't have the computer hardware, harnesses, etc. to talk to it, or vice-versa.

Just found out that the A442F / A343F are different lengths so mount points would be an issue as well as drivel line lengths ..

Here's a shot in the dark to revive an old thread. I've got a 95 HDFT engine in my 94 (U.S. spec cruiser) and all that I know is that the transmission and transfer case came out of the Japanese cruiser (it was an imported half-cut). I don't have the VIN number on the donor rig and am having trouble identifying which transmission I have (it has a leak in the rear of the transmission and I need to order some parts).

Long story, short the conversion was done by my stepdad over a decade ago and he has since passed away, and a lot of the conversion details were lost. I'm still digging through receipts to track down modifications that I didn't help with. I do know that a Nomad heavy-duty valve body was installed during the conversion. From the hours of google searches, I think it is an A442F but thought I would finally ask the question here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Serial Number pic on transmission for attention).

95transmission-5B-2583.jpg

Here's a shot in the dark to revive an old thread. I've got a 95 HDFT engine in my 94 (U.S. spec cruiser) and all that I know is that the transmission and transfer case came out of the Japanese cruiser (it was an imported half-cut). I don't have the VIN number on the donor rig and am having trouble identifying which transmission I have (it has a leak in the rear of the transmission and I need to order some parts).

Long story, short the conversion was done by my stepdad over a decade ago and he has since passed away, and a lot of the conversion details were lost. I'm still digging through receipts to track down modifications that I didn't help with. I do know that a Nomad heavy-duty valve body was installed during the conversion. From the hours of google searches, I think it is an A442F but thought I would finally ask the question here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Serial Number pic on transmission for attention).

View attachment 2917794

The only automatic transmission ever paired with the 1HD-FT was the A442f. So if they came together, that’s your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom