A442F transmission issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there folks.

I recently bought a JDM HDJ81 Turbo Diesel 1992 with the A442F transmission with cruise control. It doesn't have the ECT button on the dash. My problem, is that the transmission seems to shift a little funny. From 1-2 is good, and 2-3 is pretty good. However, it seems like the gear spacing between 1-2 and 2-3 is very close. The main issue I'm having is the shift from 3-4th. It is a pretty large rpm gap, and almost feels like it is shifting briefly into 4th, and then overdrive. Or something like that. If I am going up a hill and it shifts into 4th, the RPM's are so low that it bogs down and slows down until it shifts back into 3rd. I just did a transmission flush, and it did improve a little (the fluid was pretty dark). But it is still there. I am not much of an automatic transmission guy. Most of my rigs have been manual transmissions. I'm not sure if I have a worn valve body, worn torque converter, or something else. I have not replaced the filter yet, so I will get to that soon. But I'm not sure if it will help. Any thoughts would be welcome, and any guidance on how I can diagnose this thing would be great.

Thank you all.

First thing, I would check and adjust the kickdown cable. This is a really easy thing to do and it's almost impossible to mess anything up. I usually go in 1mm steps, but you can go larger if you like. Essentially, you tighten it up to increase the line pressure.

Is your torque converter locking up in 4th? Can you tell? It's possible you have a bad TC.

My transmission shifts quickly between 2-3. I've had this on 3 separate A442Fs so I think thats normal. These things are not known for being able to pull in 4th up long hills. Even for the sake of your EGTs, you are better off downshifting into 3rd gear. Are you on larger tires? If so, going up a steep hill in 4th is going to be tough.

Depending on what month 1992 you have, you may not have an Overdrive like the US-spec A442Fs (or post-92 HDJ80s), which are electronic.

If all else fails, I have a rebuilt A442F out of an HDJ81 for sale if you ever need it.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the big jump down in rpms is probably when you hit 4th lockup. Its what you are experiencing as the 'overdrive' portion. It hits 4th, and then locks the torque converter shortly after. I always drop to 3rd gear on steep/slow hill climbs. A wholesale valve body gives you a 3rd gear lockup that acts as the in-between gear you desire, but its $$$ and you'll still need to manually select 3rd to activate it.

TLDR, its 'normal'

edit - fiddling with the kickdown may help it hold on to 3rd longer, but it'll also affect the shifts in all your other gears.

Hi, You said flush...did you drop the pan and clean the filter. Mike

Man, you guys are awesome!

@Outono After I replaced the transmission fluid (And no, Michael Hanson, I didn't drop the pan and clean the filter, I just drained and refilled) I adjusted the kickdown cable and tightened it up a bit. That helped out a bit. And I believe you are right Dan1554, I am probably feeling the torque converter lockup. It shifts into 4th, and about a second or less later feels like it drops even more. So I guess that's the torque converter. I do have a little larger tires, they are 33's. And it doesn't have the button for ECT for the transmission on the dash.

I plan to drop the pan next weekend and clean the filter out. Can the original pan gasket be re-used? Or is it just a chemical gasket like Honda-bond? And should I buy a new filter, or just clean out the existing one? Also, what is TLDR? I have seen this mentioned a few times, but don't know what it is.

Thank you guys very much for your help. This is my first Land Cruiser, and a Diesel one at that. My other car is a 1990 JDM Corolla with the 2C diesel and full time 4WD. I put coilovers on it and lifted it 3", put taller tires on it and some other fun off road stuff. It's my daily driver, and I love it. Just wish it had a little more power.

Is it possible or advised to flush the transmission by disconnecting the feed line to the trans cooler and dumping in a bucket, while filling back up through the dipstick tube? I have done this several times on older Volvos, just not sure if it is recommended for the Cruisers? Also, any recommendations on trans fluid?

Thanks again!!! You guys rock.

Pan is metal can be reused,get the Toyota sealant for the pan. Mike

First thing, I would check and adjust the kickdown cable. This is a really easy thing to do and it's almost impossible to mess anything up. I usually go in 1mm steps, but you can go larger if you like. Essentially, you tighten it up to increase the line pressure.

Is your torque converter locking up in 4th? Can you tell? It's possible you have a bad TC.

My transmission shifts quickly between 2-3. I've had this on 3 separate A442Fs so I think thats normal. These things are not known for being able to pull in 4th up long hills. Even for the sake of your EGTs, you are better off downshifting into 3rd gear. Are you on larger tires? If so, going up a steep hill in 4th is going to be tough.

Depending on what month 1992 you have, you may not have an Overdrive like the US-spec A442Fs (or post-92 HDJ80s), which are electronic.

If all else fails, I have a rebuilt A442F out of an HDJ81 for sale if you ever need it.
Hi , I know this is an old thread but I am facing issues with my 442F in my 91 HDJ-81.
Do you still have that rebuilt trans by any chance?
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom