A442F tranny question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought a low mileage tranny for my 80 (94 FZJ80 A442F) to replace mine (225k miles). I was just going to clean it up, put a new filter and fluid in it and install it. I was planning on having the torque converter rebuilt also. Is there anything else I can do to freshen it up while it is out? I dont want to touch the valve body or get into the mechanicals too much.

Should I have the torque converter rebuilt? Anything special I should ask for?

I will be reusing my xfer case. Should I do anything to that when I pull it out?

What kind of gaskets and such do I need for this? Are there any bushings etc that I should replace in the linkage to tighten things up?

I was planning on putting it on an engine stand until I am ready to put it in. Should be OK right?

I also plan on replacing the rear main seal, pan arch seal, and oil pan gasket after I pull the existing tranny out.

Sorry for all the questions. This will be a labor intensive job, so I want to make sure I have everything covered the first time.

Thanks!

Last edited:
a tranny rebuild in my books include the rebuild kit that means open the tranny and replace the clutches .. not a banana job .. IMOP ..

on your t'case I would add to your list the front and rear output seals .. and as you are there probably the rear main seal on your engine ..

I too will be doing this in the future.. I am planning on having my radiator and tranny cooler flushed... Just want to make sure there is no left over crap in there from the old tranny..

a tranny rebuild in my books include the rebuild kit that means open the tranny and replace the clutches .. not a banana job .. IMOP ..

on your t'case I would add to your list the front and rear output seals .. and as you are there probably the rear main seal on your engine ..

I have no intentions of rebuilding the tranny. Just want to take care of the low hanging fruit and the while-youre-in-there type stuff.

I'll definitely consider the output seals. I'll probably change the u-joints and balance the driveshafts while they are out. Any recommendations on u-joints? OEM or aftermarket? Are the OEMs greasable with zerk fittings?

Any recommendations on u-joints? OEM or aftermarket? Are the OEMs greasable with zerk fittings?

I'm using Toyo u-joints that looks good .. actually swap mines less than 2 months ago .. so I will report in a while .. those are greasable ..

I put the tranny on an engine stand for now. I probably wont install it until the end of the year.

What should I do to preserve it in the meantime? All the fluids were drained from the tranny and torque converter before it was shipped. I hate to leave it in storage without fluid.

Thought I would bump this thread.

Any recommendations on preserving the tranny while in storage? Any seals that would dry out or anything that would get damaged sitting in a garage for a length of time?

What about the torque converter?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

You might want to check out Wholsale Automatic's Torque Converter. I think There's a dealer in San Diego (West Coast Cruisers ?). You can also download the FSM for the A442F free. Link is in the diesel section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom