A442F torque converter locks up immediately after 3-4 shift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this normal for a 93? At 'average' acceleration, I get a 3-4-lockup in less than a second. I guess it's worst around 40-50mph. All other shift points are good after I adjusted the kick-down cable to ~1mm. Ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
Mine doesn't lock up till 48MPH/2000RPM in Drive. Does it pretty quickly, too, though sometimes it likes to hang in 3rd till 60... :hillbilly:

Although, I have the A440F.

The way I drive on the local highway (50MPH zone), the pattern goes like this:

1->2 @ 23MPH
2->3 @ 43MPH
3->4 @ 48MPH
4->Lockup @ 49MPH

HTH

Shift it! :D

Mine doesn't lock up till 48MPH/2000RPM in Drive. Does it pretty quickly, too, though sometimes it likes to hang in 3rd till 60... :hillbilly:

Although, I have the A440F.

The way I drive on the local highway (50MPH zone), the pattern goes like this:

1->2 @ 23MPH
2->3 @ 43MPH
3->4 @ 48MPH
4->Lockup @ 49MPH

HTH

Shift it! :D

that sounds like a phenomenon I go through when I think I get better MPG with the ECT off......

Knock it off guys. :rolleyes:

TLCnoob,

Every single poster in this thread so far has a different tranny than you; ours (91-92) are hydraulic/non electronic, yours is electronically controlled.

tntoyota,

Unless I'm mistaken, you don't even *have* an ECT button.

Sheesh.

Curtis

Thx guys. You're correct about the tranny differences, and I've used the ECT button occasionally. It definitely solves the problem, but my commute speed is in that sweet spot where TC lockup could save some fuel....just wish it wouldn't lock up so danged early!:hillbilly: I guess I could just keep my finger on the button, so to speak.

Out TC's are supposed to lock up just above 2000RPM - I find mine is about 2200 roughly.

I find that with the power/ECT button turned off, mine locks up in 3rd and 4th easier.

I have just changed my ATF to transmax Z - fully synthetic today - it will be interesting if I notice any difference.

Rodney at Whoesale Automatics who knows this transmission particuarly well was telling me that using a fully synthetic ATF will double the life of the auto and reduce auto temps when under load - ie. towing.

I have their temp guage setup on my auto - so I will see how it goes when towing on the week end :)

I also have their TC manual Lockup relay switch installed - a great addition if you are towing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom