A442F Solenoids going out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving a couple days ago and noticed the vehicle struggling to get going from a stop, at first it reminded me of when I first got the rig and didnt adjust the kickdown cable yet, it took a bunch more pedal pressure. Then I realize it was because the car wasnt starting in 1st or perhaps even 2nd, this was after it warmed up for a couple minutes because I would have noticed when I first left the driveway, on the drive back home I noticed the speedo no longer working(98% sure this is correlated). Ive driven the rig a couple of times since then and I havent had a problem with starting in the right gear or speedo malfunctions, is this a sign that one of the solenoids are going bad?

Since then I checked the idle controls, readjusted the kickdown, made sure no vacuum lines or other plugs were loose.

Since I got the car ive had some TCM code, because my O/D blinks but this has been the first time ive actually had a transmission issue. My ATF is where it should be via dipstick.

I havent found a good faq for checking transmission codes, everything recorded seems to be about checking engine OBD1 codes. I also read this thread and his issues seemed to stem from a couple plugs around the starter, anyone have more details on the plugs in question.

Late 92 Build HDJ81, ECT A442F

Is this where I say F my wallet and buy a WAT valve body

I've just gone through this exercise myself ('93 HDJ80). Lots of information on here to assist with diagnosis (it's why I signed up). But the first step is to get a fault code by shorting a couple of pins on the diagnostic port and read the codes. Mine had two codes, 41, and 62, which is the TPS, and No.1 shift solenoid. I didn't have the speedo problem though.

Diagnosis, codes, and solutions for my problems were all in the work shop manual.

Just an heads up on this, replaced all solenoids with the Isuzu equivalents. Still having the issue of sometimes it downshifts properly, most of the time it starts in 2nd, possibly third, its random and I can quite get a pattern to it. (yes the kickdown is adjusted)

I spent that last few mins getting the NSS connector unplugged(pain), everything honestly looks fine, no corrosion but im still planning on spraying it down with some electric grease, can I actually test the connector? Anyone know the procedure for that? Do I need someone in the car manually shifting it?

Solenoids replaced, NSS cleaned if both those processes are done is there anything else I can do? Kinda worried that I should have spent the few extra dollars and at least get the cobra solenoids.

Also reading back to the 1st post it seems like the speedo problem was completely random, completely forgot about it.

Found this diagram, went to test, multimeter has died. Well check and clean tomorrow to keep everyone updated
1593544904345.png

It sounds like you are going through the fault rectification process.

The replaced TPS and solenoids (did all of them) solved my problem.

Trust the Toyota diagnostics i suppose?

Good luck!

Edit - The Isuzu solenoids are not 'Isuzu' certainly not the ones I had anyway, they were marked Aisin i.e. the 'oem' manufacturer of the gearbox.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom