A442F shifting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys, we have a 93 1fzfe 4.5L with A442F auto box.

Everything was running fine until we had the car serviced. The next day the transmission started shifting weird. Like taking off in 2nd gear and not changing gears as required. When we shift manually it changes gear nicely, most of the time. Sporadically it would take of in 1st gear as normal but then wouldn't change to higher gears as needed.

Now our mechanic said it was a cooked gearbox so we replaced it with a box that had small ks. No change in problem.

So we took car to auto elec who diagnosed issue with pins in TCM. He said he cleaned and retention them and that it was now working as it should.
As soon as I picked the car up the check engine light came on, plus O/D light was flashing. Despite that car drove as it should for 2 days.

Then issue returned. We read the fault codes and got fault 81 - TCM communication.

Auto elec said no info coming out of TCM, I have given him a replacement TCM with same part number.
He is now saying the car won't drive.

Any ideas?

Hey Guys, we have a 93 1fzfe 4.5L with A442F auto box.

Everything was running fine until we had the car serviced. The next day the transmission started shifting weird. Like taking off in 2nd gear and not changing gears as required. When we shift manually it changes gear nicely, most of the time. Sporadically it would take of in 1st gear as normal but then wouldn't change to higher gears as needed.

Now our mechanic said it was a cooked gearbox so we replaced it with a box that had small ks. No change in problem.

So we took car to auto elec who diagnosed issue with pins in TCM. He said he cleaned and retention them and that it was now working as it should.
As soon as I picked the car up the check engine light came on, plus O/D light was flashing. Despite that car drove as it should for 2 days.

Then issue returned. We read the fault codes and got fault 81 - TCM communication.

Auto elec said no info coming out of TCM, I have given him a replacement TCM with same part number.
He is now saying the car won't drive.

Any ideas?
What did they service when they serviced the truck?

List each thing they did.

Sounds to me like the shop was looking for a way to gig you for more money.

Just change the transmission without properly diagnosing it?

Did they bother checking the fluid levels on the original transmission? That's water under the bridge, as you cannot prove anything now since that one is long gone.

Good luck with bad mechanics.

Could be shift solenoids, kick down cables, accelerator cable, poor connections to transmission sensors, low (or high) fluid levels in the transmission.

A sudden change in a truck driving is not an internal clutch failure, yet that's what happened then sold you a new (used) transmission. Now you have a transmission with unknown history in your truck. So new problems have been introduced.

What did they service when they serviced the truck?

List each thing they did.

Sounds to me like the shop was looking for a way to gig you for more money.

Just change the transmission without properly diagnosing it?

Did they bother checking the fluid levels on the original transmission? That's water under the bridge, as you cannot prove anything now since that one is long gone.

Good luck with bad mechanics.

Could be shift solenoids, kick down cables, accelerator cable, poor connections to transmission sensors, low (or high) fluid levels in the transmission.

A sudden change in a truck driving is not an internal clutch failure, yet that's what happened then sold you a new (used) transmission. Now you have a transmission with unknown history in your truck. So new problems have been introduced.
They did a service as in new filters and oils. I do remember specifically my husband complaining about the car revving high at idle and the mechanic adjusting the cable the controls the idle revs.

A couple of things to look in to:
1. make sure the transmission kick down cable is properly adjusted HELP! A442f throttle adjustments - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/help-a442f-throttle-adjustments.479173/
2. I would R&R solenoids before just replacing the transmission entirely. The thread below has links to Isuzu solenoids which work great and are much cheaper than actual OEM FZJ80 A442F Transmission Solenoids From AW450-43LE - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fzj80-a442f-transmission-solenoids-from-aw450-43le.988260/page-2#post-13939621

A couple of things to look in to:
1. make sure the transmission kick down cable is properly adjusted HELP! A442f throttle adjustments - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/help-a442f-throttle-adjustments.479173/
2. I would R&R solenoids before just replacing the transmission entirely. The thread below has links to Isuzu solenoids which work great and are much cheaper than actual OEM FZJ80 A442F Transmission Solenoids From AW450-43LE - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fzj80-a442f-transmission-solenoids-from-aw450-43le.988260/page-2#post-13939621
Thanks mate, I will see how I go with these suggestions.

I have figured that out now lol. Could have told me earlier 🤣
It's obvious that we need more resources for troubleshooting and basic introduction to these rigs, since there have been a lot of people lately replacing transmissions unnecessarily, misunderstanding transfer cases, and attempting to fix idle speed using the throttle cable. You're not alone.

It's obvious that we need more resources for troubleshooting and basic introduction to these rigs, since there have been a lot of people lately replacing transmissions unnecessarily, misunderstanding transfer cases, and attempting to fix idle speed using the throttle cable. You're not alone.
So I am wondering if the solenoid/ solenoids were bad and there was damage in the TCM (in op I stated that auto elec had to clean and retention pins in the tcm)and I changed the gearbox could the solenoids in the new gearbox then 'blow' and cause the same issue?

You need to fine a mechanic that knows these truck. And when you have a problem the time to ask is before you take it in. There is a lot of knowledgeable people on the board that are willing to help that's what the forum is all about.
The A442F (AKA the Bus tyranny) is a very stout transmission, I have never heard of one going out. As other have said sound like the solenoids, that's what was wrong with mine when it had the symptoms is yours. A very common issue.
And welcome to mud.
Now get your wallet ready ;)

I have never heard of one going out
Mine went out :eek:, see Grinding noise: A442F Transmission Failure - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/grinding-noise-a442f-transmission-failure.1187315/. So now you have, but the junkyard replacement has been rock solid :rofl:

If the magnets in the pan look like this, then start worrying, otherwise you are probably fine:
1626147738137.png

1626147787881.png

Last edited:
I am reading this thread and wondering if those online could assist with a different transmission issue. my 94 has just started slipping out of reverse after it gets up to temp I have been working on the truck for about a year and have not driven a lot but a am nearing the end and driving more until this happened. Goes in reverse and then just to neutral I would appreciate any and all suggestions
thanks in advance

Solenoids should be the frist thing to check.

See post #3 here: Super firm shift after transmission rebuild - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/super-firm-shift-after-transmission-rebuild.1258533/#post-13959339

When there are shifting issues I would do this in order:
  1. Make sure there is the correct amount of tranny fluid as measured on the dipstick when hot and idling.
  2. Adjust the "kickdown" cable, see 80-series Throttle Adjustment - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com - https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/80throttle.php.
  3. Replace the shift solenoids in the valve body, see Transmission solenoids 1993 TLC - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transmission-solenoids-1993-tlc.1182887/. Can use Isuzu solenoids which are the exact same OEM part but much cheaper than Toyota.
It does sound like the solenoids though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom