A442F Grinding in 2nd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!

New to me is my 1994 FZJ80 80 series cruiser with the A442F auto.

Car is great and im super happy other than 1 issue. Under a very specific condiiton the car makes a rather loud grinding noise. WHen in 2nd gear at 2000-2200 revs the car makes a pretty loud grinding noise, only in this gear and only at that rev range.vI need to be in 2nd gear, so it is very repeatable by putting the shifter to '2'' and then getting up to 2000-2200 RPM.

THese cars are pretty new to me, anyone know what could be causing this? Im hoping the trans isnt shot as that isnt a cheap fix.

Thanks all in

Can you get a video of it happening? That might help with a diagnosis.

Not criticizing your driving style, but why are you driving in 2nd at 2k rpm?

Are you hill climbing? Driving in loose sand/gravel? Or are you driving on level, flat, paved roads?

What you're doing when the drivetrain is in this state matters, because you're still in the climbing area of the torque curve and you could be loading other parts of the drivetrain.

Could the noise be coming from the front axle? Might be worth the effort to check the drive flange splines (front axle hubs) and CV joint stub shaft splines.

The drive flanges have a splined hole which slides onto the splined outer stub shaft of the CV joint. If they are worn down the splines can slip past each other (radially) and cause a grinding sound/vibration.

Does it feel something like going over mini-speed bumps when the noise occurs?

Or, does the Tachometer needle jump around and does the transmission feel like it's slipping when the noise occurs?

Don't want to send you down a rabbit hole, just something to consider:

This is a good thread, read through the posts, might help:

Last edited:
Not criticizing your driving style, but why are you driving in 2nd at 2k rpm?

Are you hill climbing? Driving in loose sand/gravel? Or are you driving on level, flat, paved roads?

What you're doing when the drivetrain is in this state matters, because you're still in the climbing area of the torque curve and you could be loading other parts of the drivetrain.
I didn't notice it for a few days and then when doing a hill climb I noticed it as it revved higher than before.

It doesn't happen often when I am driving around normally unless I try to make it happen by flooring it. But no matter what the driving conditions once I get to 2200 RPM the sound occurs and then stops.

Some further testing seems to show it happens in 3rd as well and my partner thinks the sound is coming from the rear of the car

The drive flanges have a splined hole which slides onto the splined outer stub shaft of the CV joint. If they are worn down the splines can slip past each other (radially) and cause a grinding sound/vibration.

Does it feel something like going over mini-speed bumps when the noise occurs?

Or, does the Tachometer needle jump around and does the transmission feel like it's slipping when the noise occurs?

Don't want to send you down a rabbit hole, just something to consider:

This is a good thread, read through the posts, might help:

It kinda does feel like tiny speedbumps now that you mention it...

No tacho weirdness occurring however.

I'll read through these posts now, thanks so much

Start simple. Lock the center diff and pull the front driveshaft and see if it goes away. If not put it back in and try the rear driveshaft out. Will tell us if it's in the transmission or transfer case or something else. The 442 is hard to kill

Hi all,

Got to to the bottom of this accidentally so I thought I'd post an update. While having my rig at the shop for an exhaust leak he found that I was missing an exhaust hanger. It was causing the end of my exhaust to bang on my rear bar at certain RPM.

He sorted it out for me. Sound is all gone and so is my exhaust leak.

Happy days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom