A442f gear shifting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just had my transmission rebuilt by a leg and arm buyer, worked well for a day but now after day 3 gears seam to hunt for a false neutral when backing off the accelerator especially after 90 Klms ? Also in low range will not move into 2snd gear in drive ? Any help guessing speed sensor issues ? 1hdft 96 model, would love some questions dialed in before calling them on Monday cheers?

Check the fluid level first with a fully warmed up engine/transmission. Could be related to faulty solenoids.

To check which transmission model your 80 has check the VIN sticker on one the front doors just below the latch mechanism. You'll see a line of letters and numbers under the bar code, one group will start with K292/293/294, next will be the transmission model (?A442F, A343F).

If it was just rebuilt, definitely take it back to the shop.

BTW, what's a leg and arm buyer, someone who buys and flips vehicles for a quick profit??

BTW, what's a leg and arm buyer, someone who buys and flips vehicles for a quick profit??
It means it cost him an arm and a leg when he had it rebuilt.........

Some times you can't see the forest through the trees.......

"Some times you can't see the forest through the trees......."

Ok, so it was a Idiom, or Idiomatic Expresssion, and those can vary depending on the culture. In this case the OP (in England?) wrote "an arm and leg buyer" which is not a commonly used expression in the US.

In America, IME, it's more often written as "it cost me (or they charged me) an arm and a leg".

Trivia: when I was in College (a long time ago) there were a group of students from Eastern Europe who's mother tonque was not English, but they had been taught Oxford English, so sounded like they were from England, with an accent.

One of their goals while studying in the US was to learn American English, including idiomatic expressions ie: so they could sound more like Americans (they were from Russia). Very interesting.

BTW: I'm currently at my cabin surrounded by a bunch of vertical semi-flexible poles that sway in the wind. They also have a rough grey/brown/reddish exterior which is covered in long narrow green spikes that form an almost conical shape going from the bottom to top of the pole which gets narrower as it gets closer to the top??

Last edited:
"Some times you can't see the forest through the trees......."

Ok, so it was a Idiom, or Idiomatic Expresssion, and those can vary depending on the culture. In this case the OP (in England?) wrote "an arm and leg buyer" which is not a commonly used expression in the US.

In America, IME, it's more often written as "it cost me (or they charged me) an arm and a leg".

Trivia: when I was in College (a long time ago) there were a group of students from Eastern Europe who's mother tonque was not English, but they had been taught Oxford English, so sounded like they were from England, with an accent.

One of their goals while studying in the US was to learn American English, including idiomatic expressions ie: so they could sound more like Americans (they were from Russia). Very interesting.

BTW: I'm currently at my cabin surrounded by a bunch of vertical semi-flexible poles that sway in the wind. They also have a rough grey/brown/reddish exterior which is covered in long narrow green spikes that form an almost conical shape going from the bottom to top of the pole which gets narrower as it gets closer to the top??
I don't know about the Poles, but I'm guessing the Russians are drinking all the vodka!

If it COST you an arm and a leg, then you handed over an arm and a leg, which, by default, the other party is trading his work for, hence, an arm and leg buyer.........

So are the grammar nazis offering advice on the poor mans vehicle issue?

Probably a better bet that he is from Newcastle Australia but that’s my guess.

Check the fluid level first with a fully warmed up engine/transmission. Could be related to faulty solenoids.

To check which transmission model your 80 has check the VIN sticker on one the front doors just below the latch mechanism. You'll see a line of letters and numbers under the bar code, one group will start with K292/293/294, next will be the transmission model (?A442F, A343F).

Yes it's a a442f transmission, ATF is probably a little high, checked under it today, the front drive shaft from the transfer case to the front diff moves about a quarter turn by hand in park? Back tail shaft not much movement, Not sure about this? As it is my first 4wd I have ever owned and I am still learning hence why I am here, and the shop that did the rebuild is 12 hour drive away, I was just putting it out there if anyone could help me as I am not only broke but missing a few limbs lol ( the cost of the rebuild)

So are the grammar nazis offering advice on the poor mans vehicle issue?

Probably a better bet that he is from Newcastle Australia but that’s my guess.

04tour: any progress so far? Which transmission model does your 80 have?

sorry about the arm and leg joke! i was recommended to go to another auto transmission shop by the mob who rebuilt the transmission, turns out the T.P.S Throttle Position Sensor was causing the issue, o.k so it did fix the false neutral problem but now my cruise control which did work before the tps was changed now will just flash at me when trying to activate it! The shop that did the TPS believes that what they did had nothing that would of created an issue with the cruise control (plus costing me a finger and big toe LOL), so now i have to nut out why the cruise has stopped working plus to the fact the power is really down AFR is sitting around 22.2 constantly may drop a little when the floor meets the pedal but just has no go, is there a guru out there?? i could do with their help cheers everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom