A440f transmission rebuild or swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sigh... from my recollection, first rebuild was about 2005 at about 225,XXX. Torque converter replaced in about 2008, rebuilt in 2010 with a rebuilt torque converter, new trans pump and rebuild in 2012, at which time it had about 315,XXX. Trans pump blew up in 2018 at 345,XXX, when I said enough was enough. Swapped for the H55, and was happier than when my children were born. First time in that truck's life that it didn't leak oil on the garage floor. Problem was, 3,000 miles later, she burned through 9qts of oil. No black soot on the pipe or bumper, and no trace of where it went. She sat for a while before the swap, so best I could figure was a seal went. That, combined with a new workload, she burnt up and threw a rod. So, post swap, keep an eye on the oil. Even still, best decision ever. Now, H55 and a baby motor (150,XXX miles). Kind of a bass ackwards way to get a solid truck!

Sigh... from my recollection, first rebuild was about 2005 at about 225,XXX. Torque converter replaced in about 2008, rebuilt in 2010 with a rebuilt torque converter, new trans pump and rebuild in 2012, at which time it had about 315,XXX. Trans pump blew up in 2018 at 345,XXX, when I said enough was enough. Swapped for the H55, and was happier than when my children were born. First time in that truck's life that it didn't leak oil on the garage floor. Problem was, 3,000 miles later, she burned through 9qts of oil. No black soot on the pipe or bumper, and no trace of where it went. She sat for a while before the swap, so best I could figure was a seal went. That, combined with a new workload, she burnt up and threw a rod. So, post swap, keep an eye on the oil. Even still, best decision ever. Now, H55 and a baby motor (150,XXX miles). Kind of a bass ackwards way to get a solid truck!
How has it been since the 3fe rebuild? What made you stay 3fe versus swapping a v8 like everyone else seems to be doing?

I rebuilt my original 3FE in 2014 at 315,XXX, when I had a cracked head and found that I had scored cylinders. Full refurb, bored cylinders, oversized pistons, etc. This motor actually wasn't a rebuild, but my mech had recently done some work on it and knew it was a quality motor with low miles. Follow my build thread! I can use the input...

Wow! At my last rebuild, I was told the trans pump going into my truck was one of three in the country from Toyota, and just the pump was something like $1,500! I still stand by the H55. No question. I've heard the price of the H55 is going up due to demand, so get it now when you have the chance!

Wow! At my last rebuild, I was told the trans pump going into my truck was one of three in the country from Toyota, and just the pump was something like $1,500! I still stand by the H55. No question. I've heard the price of the H55 is going up due to demand, so get it now when you have the chance!

Wow - that would be a bargain for a new A440 (looks like no TC, but still)

Wow - that would be a bargain for a new A440 (looks like no TC, but still)

Battled my auto for years. Rodney flushes and filter kits after each and every time I went out camping or anywhere that the truck had to be driving for well over an hour. Once the auto trans fluid gets too hot...it burns and its trash. Limping home 2 hours away is no fun. Ive done it all including lots of "party tricks" just to get home and Im pretty sure the smell of burnt fluid is now a permanent smell in my garage. H55f is the real deal. battled the same question for a few years. Im even kinda close to one of the best guys around and still didnt go with a rebuilt auto. Sorry @orangefj45 - (but I did buy my transfer rebuild kit there!)

Now to your "rust free" comment. be careful. That shi% likes to hide. Look at the top of the windsheild rubber on the outside. Top of the A pillars. Around the drip channel. Really anywhere you could imagine water might like to just hang out. The old japanese steel loves rust. Look for pimples in the paint. If there are pimples you have rust. Mine looked good when I bought it and within a year I realized all those pimples were cancer.

My a440f never overheats. Towing, sand dunes, mountains. I do have an extra cooler with a fan that comes on if it's getting a bit warm.[way before the atf light comes on]. Fan Only ever kicked in once when towing a 2 tonne load over hilly terrain.

Wow - ljoem - you sure have all the luck! Thanks for relaying your sad tale here.

@pithicus, idk what truck you have, but it ain't normal... Mine was a dog if you gave it wasn't going downhill. I threw a cooler on mine, and a new aluminum radiator, and AT temp would still pop after an hour of driving. What type of coolant are you guys using? If I remember correctly, my mech said mine doesn't like Toyota Red anymore, so the generic green is what I have, and she touches the first line when shes hoofing...

@SteveH, I just wish someone pushed me harder to the H55 sooner... Like I said, best decision I ever made. End of story.

For me, I'd either go cheap (more risky) route and buy a used unit or go with a H55f five speed. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom