A440f transmission rebuild or swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a rust free FJ62 and the truck looks nice but the trans is shot. 170k miles.

from all I’ve read on this and other forums, the main choices are rebuild, swap with a lower mileage used, or swap to an H55 5 speed.

i would rather keep the automatic so that limits my choices.

a low mileage used unit are hard to find and you really have no recourse if it blows immediately after the swap.

need to factor in the option into the negotiated price so I am budgeting the right ballpark amount to get this fixed.

I normally wouldn't entertain this but the truck is rust free and for the right price, this may be a good way to go,

Between buying a parted out tranny and rebuilding, I personally would go the latter. Sounds like you have a solid rig so easy to justify expense of having the auto rebuilt; if auto is your preference. Not sure there would be a huge delta in total cost of rebuilding your unit or swapping in an H-55? Going the route of 5-speed might be a better investment due to the higher demand on used market. Most importantly, get what you want (auto vs H55) and do it right. Curious to see pics of this 62.

Though I’ve not done a rebuild on an auto the basics of the rebuild are not so bad. Bearings, solenoids, and clamping bands and of course gaskets and seals. The bearings are not the usual issue but the bands wear or the solenoids that activate them go bad. You can also get buildup on the hydraulic valve body.
What is the trans doing that indicates the need for a rebuild?

Have you done a full fluid and filter change including the torque converter?

The owner says the trans is had been slipping for a while and not “locks up”,

its got a trailer brake so I imagine this rig towed a lot.

if I go the rebuild option, I know to avoid the chain shops. The truck is in Virginia Beach area. Any recommendations for a solid shop in that area? Source if a good rebuilt unit?

how much should I budget for this trans fix?

The owner says the trans is had been slipping for a while and not “locks up”,

its got a trailer brake so I imagine this rig towed a lot.

if I go the rebuild option, I know to avoid the chain shops. The truck is in Virginia Beach area. Any recommendations for a solid shop in that area? Source if a good rebuilt unit?

how much should I budget for this trans fix?
A lot. 440’s are weird and not a lot of shops can correctly do the rebuilds. You’re looking at probably $3500 on the low side, $5500 on the high side.

plus add in the transfer rebuild as it is also out on the floor

I’ve read a lot about Rodney flushes really miraculously helping these A440 trans. Would that be your first option or just bite the bullet and get a rebuilt installed.

myself, I would drain and drop the pan and see if there are bits and pieces in there.
if there is, you're into a rebuild or replace
if there isn't, I would try a Rodney flush and maybe the party trick

I am 60 milea from Va Beach I cannot recommend any shop to rebuild the Toyota transmission. Randys transmissions rebuild transmissions but I doubt they have rebuilt one you could give them a call.
Tommy

Found a guy parting out an 89. Trans has 180k miles and was running good before the motor blew.
$600 for the whole trans. Would you take a chance on this or bite the bullet and go with a rebuild.

it sounds like their are few trusted rebuild shops.

what are best sources for rebuilt A440?

Found a guy parting out an 89. Trans has 180k miles and was running good before the motor blew.
$600 for the whole trans. Would you take a chance on this or bite the bullet and go with a rebuild.

it sounds like their are few trusted rebuild shops.

what are best sources for rebuilt A440?

$600 trans and transfer? I'd try that and get a few years out of it.

Hey I'm in Va. Beach too! I just had my 62 in DIA Automotive, they know cruisers pretty well. The owner of the shop owns a 60 series. They don't rebuild transmissions themselves but have a shop that they use, I can't remember the name, try reaching out to them and see what they have to say. Transmission rebuilds are pricey.

After 30 years with my FJ62, I finally made the decision to swap to the H55. Easily the best decision I ever made. I had rebuilt my A440 3 different times, at least, swapped torque converters, etc. That transmission is the weakest point in that truck. I wish I had swapped years ago, so I could have enjoyed my truck more and saved thousands...

ljoem - how many years did you get out of each transmission?

This could be an error, but it does appear that new A440s are actually now available from Toyota, but I haven't actually pulled the trigger and tried ordering one myself.

It is available for order on the ToyotaPartsDeal website which has always been a very good indicator for me to see if specific parts are still in production. I order parts from them (get their stuff from Toyota Distribution Centers just like the dealers) or to get the parts numbers so I can order directly from my local dealer.

There are clearly benefits to the H55 conversion, but at $3,758 this would be the easiest, most cost effective and most reliable way to go.

Production Date:08/1987-03/1988
Part Name Code:35000
Replaced by:35000-60100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom