A440f tear down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YMT

Threads
I have an a440f trans I've been trying to sell or give away for the past year. No dice. So, since it's taking up space, I decided to pull it apart. I've replaced entire transmissions before, but have never opened one up, so this is a complete learning experience for me.

That said, I have an FSM, however, I do not have the version with the trans disassembly. And I'm too cheap to buy one for this one time. So, I'm hoping to tap into the knowledge on this forum to help.

Ultimately, the final destination for this beast is the recycler, however, I will be keep a few parts as spares and selling others. It's too heavy to throw the entire unit into the recycler trailer, so I'm pulling it apart to make it more manageable, and to learn about the inner workings.

I have searched, and there aren't many threads describing the actual tear down process. So I'm hoping to get info, and possibly document the process in case anyone else ever needs it

I've read through that thread, and while good, doesn't fully cover my issues on tear down

I admit I don't know many of the correct terms of the inner parts of a trans. But here's the beast removed, made easy by not have the body to contend with

IMG_20200825_205139_01 (1).jpg

IMG_20200825_154834_01 (1).jpg

Should have drained it prior to removal

Any idea how to remove the plate I'm pointing to with the screwdriver? I've tried prying and smacking it with a hammer with no success

IMG_20200826_144248.jpg

IMG_20200826_144300.jpg

On the output shaft, any suggestions on how to remove the retainer clip? Any special too or suggestion on removal?

IMG_20200826_144325.jpg

I did the same with my A442F that died, was great fun.

20200211_205421.jpg

Giddy up!!!

Any idea how to remove the plate I'm pointing to with the screwdriver?

There is nothing holding on the oil pump except those 11 bolts, must be seized on.

On the output shaft, any suggestions on how to remove the retainer clip? Any special too or suggestion on removal?

I used regular pliers but ruined every snap ring. Something like this is what works best:

Amazon product ASIN B007C6JM9U

There is nothing holding on the oil pump except those 11 bolts, must be seized on.

I used regular pliers but ruined every snap ring. Something like this is what works best:

Amazon product ASIN B007C6JM9U
Thanks! I have tried using my snap ring pliers with no luck. Guess I will have to use a bfh for more persuasion.
I'm going in from the pan to see if I can get access. Worst case, I bust out the sawzall and see what is holding up

There are two threaded holes on the sides of the oil pump. You can thread in a bolt to help with removal.

Reactions: YMT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom