A440F pan drop/fluid amount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

I'm going to be dropping the pan and cleaning the filter on my A440F today. I bought a new OEM gasket, and I need to go get the ATF. How much is needed to refill after this procedure? Any tips?

Thanks!

Drain and fill is 5 qts. Might get 6 just in case.

Thank you very much. I removed the skid plate and now I'm wondering how to remove the pan. Some of those little bolts are tucked away in some pretty hard to reach places. Any tips?

I had to remove the crossmember to get my pan off. It was the first time I had done it so I'm still not sure if there is a better way. Clean the screen well.

I didn't have to remove anything. Just unbolt it. Your socket set with extensions will fit perfectly.

Ended up using a smaller ratchet and socket that slipped right into the space. Now, how does one disconnect the transmission dipstick tube thing that's connected to the pan? Mine's hanging by it for the time being...

just be easy and pull. Wiggle around a little but it just pulls off and then pushes back on.

Is it ok to go synthetic after 230k miles?

From what I've read I would think so. But I also would think as long as you keep clean fluid in it, changing to synthetic after 230k miles isn't necessarily going to buy you more years/miles. Is it the original A440?

I did this too recently, and I got about 7 litres. This included a night of letting it drip.

Don't forget to clean the magnets and a new gasket for the filter too.

@Hambone, yes original tranny, no previous work done. I did a fluid only change ~5 yrs ago. Recently began experiencing bad noise when letting off and getting back on it...think its not totally locking in OD.
89 FJ62.
Sorry for the hijacking.

Well if you can afford it put in the synth. You never know. But that mileage on a A440 gives me hope for the future!

I did mine about a year ago, dropped pan cleaned filter etc. but I did the rodney flush. I think they hold a total of 16 quarts IIRC. I bought 18 quarts of synthetic for the flush. Topped it off and it works pretty dang good now after a little adjusting of the kick-down cable. And its bolted to a 350. 190k miles or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom