A440F Gurus? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I’ve got a few minor issues with my 91s transmission. It does have an early vortec swap if that matters.

My issues are:
1. Shift flare from 2-3
2. Misses downshift to 2nd (just revs)
3. Seems like a slowish shift from 1-2
4. Manual shifting 1-2 leaves at least 5 second delay
5. Manual downshifting to 2nd takes at least 5 seconds.

Things I’ve tried:
1. Verified fluid is decent and in the hot range after driving.
2. Party trick. Helped overall feel
3. Adjusted cable. I treated it like a new cable, pulling until tension is felt and tightening to that length. All issues above were present. Then I tightened up on the throttle cable about 4-5mm (flare is smaller but other issues exist and shift points are much higher) Also, the throttle cable travels up and down smoothly with no hang ups.

FSM leads seems to lead me to the valve body. Any other advice? Any sources for valve body kit or do I need to piece it together? I’m a skilled shade tree mechanic but I’ve never messed with transmission innards. I’ve rebuilt turbos, heads, swapped axles, electrical design, fabbed bumpers and brackets etc. I’m not afraid to get in there, but it’s new territory. Thanks in advance! Oh, tag anybody from the 60 side that may be good with these too please. I don’t know anybody yet.

I should also add that when I manually shift to 2nd, it holds the gear and doesn’t slip. That leads me to believe the clutches are ok. Also, 3rd, 4th, and reverse all work perfectly including lock up. I have not pulled the pan yet either.

drop the pan and read the tea leaves. keep in mind all the o-rings are 30 years old. if the pan is clean and the magnets are clear of filings and you just want to throw money at it without opening the whole thing, you could drop in a Nomad valve body and hope that it was just a sticky spool valve. I've got a rebuild thread in this forum that you may find helpful. Its not rocket science and if you have the guts to do it yourself and it will save you lots of money. Toyota still has everything you will need except for the valve body gaskets.

drop the pan and read the tea leaves. keep in mind all the o-rings are 30 years old. if the pan is clean and the magnets are clear of filings and you just want to throw money at it without opening the whole thing, you could drop in a Nomad valve body and hope that it was just a sticky spool valve. I've got a rebuild thread in this forum that you may find helpful. Its not rocket science and if you have the guts to do it yourself and it will save you lots of money. Toyota still has everything you will need except for the valve body gaskets.
Thanks, I’ll look for that post. The nomad looks nice, but a bit much for me. I wouldn’t mind gaining a new skill. Do you think anything outside the valve body could cause those issues? If I dropped serious coin I’d just get a 4l60e or 700r4 to match the engine and get a new adapter for the t case. I figured if the parts are cheap I can try the valve body 🤷‍♀️

Thanks, I’ll look for that post. The nomad looks nice, but a bit much for me. I wouldn’t mind gaining a new skill. Do you think anything outside the valve body could cause those issues? If I dropped serious coin I’d just get a 4l60e or 700r4 to match the engine and get a new adapter for the t case. I figured if the parts are cheap I can try the valve body 🤷‍♀️
I looked high and low for a 3FE adapter plate and came up empty. That why I decided to go ahead with the tranny rebuild myself. The nomad valve body is pricey for sure but considering the only gaskets available are from China I decided to take the leap and buy the Nomad. Honestly the best decision for me. I also sent the torque converter out for a rebuild. It's like a new machine. Good luck with whichever way you choose to go and let me know if you want any advice or tips on doing a rebuild.

So I finally got to look in the pan. The fluid is dark but doesn’t smell burnt. There are some metal pieces like fine glitter in the fluid. Looks like no chunks of clutch. I may just go with the nomad valve body and a complete fluid exchange unless someone thinks my video and pics suggest otherwise. Any input? Well I guess I can’t put a video, but here’s a fb link:

1EF5234D-CA1C-44A6-8774-E541BF6DB403.jpeg

631ECDA5-B025-4207-8202-495BA9F4981F.jpeg

2497626B-D6F9-47B0-BC7E-E91ECB775238.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom