A440F behind F135? in FJ45LV maybe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done a few searches and cant find any info on putting an A440f behind an F135. I already have the auto trans and i am considering options for the LV. Now i want to keep the LV as stock as possible but would love my wife to drive it from time to time, too. I have an F135 with a 2 barrel DD40 and manifold. Thought i could run a Lokar shifter and bring it up through the floor in the stock tunnel cover hole. I also have a HJ47 gearbox cross-member for auto. Auto came from FJ62. Has anyone done this or am i crazy to consider? Thanks for the help:)

I really think it would be a dog. The F135 is pretty underpowered and that auto trans is not going to help. Especially with a rig as big as an LV. Even the 3FE’s get a bit of a bad rap for lack of power in front of that transmission.

Would be fun to do it just to do it but I think you’d be underwhelmed.

Maybe someone here has first hand experience and can give you better info based on facts.

Good luck!

I really think it would be a dog. The F135 is pretty underpowered and that auto trans is not going to help. Especially with a rig as big as an LV. Even the 3FE’s get a bit of a bad rap for lack of power in front of that transmission.

Would be fun to do it just to do it but I think you’d be underwhelmed.

Maybe someone here has first hand experience and can give you better info based on facts.

Good luck!
Thanks. That is not surprising to hear. It is a big box. I did have another potentially crazy idea; to adapt a C4 auto. I have access to one with a transfer already adapted and seeing how the 3 speed bellhousing has a centralised circular hole i thought it may be possible to go c4 as its much smaller, lighter and dare i say it (arguably) more reliable than A440F?

Doubt you have a HJ47 auto crossmember. Those were only offered with the H41. Not saying it wouldn't work. On the H41 the crossmember was at the front of the transmission while the A440F was at the back. I test fit a HJ47 crossmember under my FJ45LP-B. The width was about right. Never went much further as I realized I already had the crossmember L brackets from a late FJ45.

Doubt you have a HJ47 auto crossmember. Those were only offered with the H41. Not saying it wouldn't work. On the H41 the crossmember was at the front of the transmission while the A440F was at the back. I test fit a HJ47 crossmember under my FJ45LP-B. The width was about right. Never went much further as I realized I already had the crossmember L brackets from a late FJ45.
yes i realize its not an auto crossmember but has the L brackets and would make the mod easier.
thhough it appears the A440F is probably too not a good match to the F135. I can see why a lot of LV's end up getting restomod as its hard to keep stock driveline and have something practical to drive all the time. I still have the C4 option to explore anyway. The A440F can go in the Pig. Thanks for your input:)
IMG_4468.jpg

I had my FJ62 for over twenty five years. Take some practice to get the most you can out of the power robbing A440F but it's doable. Behind a F135 would be interesting to say the least. At one time I was going to put a A440F behind a 2F in my pickup so my wife would drive. But would be a lot of work for a vehicle that doesn't have the comfort she likes. Doesn't even care to drive our 3rd gen 4Runner.

I like the idea of an Auto in the 45’s and keeping it toyota would be fun but practically speaking it would struggle.

When I got my SWB back on the road I drove from my house in Oceanside to Mammoth Mountain with the F135 and 3 on the tree. It was fun (sorta) but slow and the hills killed me. I eventually settled on max RPM in 2nd gear up the grades at about 35-40 MPH and 120 decibels.

Now I have a 4 speed and a 3FE from an FJ62 and it has tons of power and drivability. Once I sort out the 4 speed column shift it will be perfect. I think that combo would be great in the larger LV.

thanks for the input.. maybe the pig can be auto, that way i can keep the LV stock and my wife wont get to drive it until she toughens up and drives the manual..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom